Vanishing Elevation Call outs

Evolution

It's me again! I guess I don't understand a lot to do with the CA software, trial and error takes a lot of time, and trying to find it now (especially to search the forum or KB's etc.,) is frustrating. So, printing check set to catch any errors, I noticed my elevation call outs keep disappearing! As long as I have the elevations in layout (saved camera) open the call out show up on my enlarged plan, but the minute I close the elevations they vanish from the enlarged plan on my layout sheet?!?!  If I print the layout sheet with the enlarged plan on it, in order to have the call outs showing I have to have the elevations open. Is this normal or am I again missing some important little secret nuance? Sorry to bother you with such silly stuff :-( 

CALL OUT MISSING.PNG

ELEV CALL OUT VANISHES.PNG

ELEV CALL OUT.PNG

The call-outs always show when the elevations are open in the layout as you've discovered but they are also on a layer that may or may not be turned on in your plan view. Just make sure the layer that the 'cameras' are on is turned on in all views you want them to show up in. You can also put them on a custom layer if that works better for you.

I just read these posts very quickly as I have to run out the door.

There is a setting in 3D View Defaults called Always Display Active Cameras.

I'm not sure that it applies in your situation or not - but maybe worth a look.

"Check Always Display Active Cameras to turn on the display of active camera symbols, even when the “Cameras” layer is turned off. When unchecked, active camera symbols obey the layer setting."

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, glennw said:

"Check Always Display Active Cameras to turn on the display of active camera symbols, even when the “Cameras” layer is turned off. When unchecked, active camera symbols obey the layer setting."

NICE...

I just tried this and it works but only if the camera is 'active' - if you close the camera view the layer control takes precedence.

BTW I have each type of camera on a custom layer; ELEVATION CAMERAS and SECTION CAMERAS - just gives a little more control of cameras.

• Upvote 1

54 minutes ago, glennw said:

This is probably the best way for me at the moment.  I've a lot to learn about Layer sets especially.  But I AM TRYING TOO!

10 minutes ago, Evolution said:

This is probably the best way for me at the moment.  I've a lot to learn about Layer sets especially.  But I AM TRYING TOO!

Probably not the best way because when you close the 'active' camera the call-out will disappear - exactly what you don't want. Layers will help you garner complete control of your plan. Maybe this video will help.

"Always Display Active Cameras" will show the 'active' camera even though the layer is turned off. If the layer is not turned on as soon as that camera is no longer 'active' the display will disappear. Not sure what it is used for but there may be a case where it comes in handy. Layers give you complete control.