Topo Lines on Terrain Model

johnny

Does anyone know how they are showing the topo lines on the terrain model here?

https://www.chiefarchitect.com/company/pressgraphics/magazine-ads/california-house.html?utm_content=&utm_source=VerticalResponse&utm_medium=Email&utm_term=Read more&utm_campaign=Chief Architect Software News

To a lesser extend I would also like to know how they show the transparent building on the non-transparent foundation structure.  Is this in Photoshop or Chief?

14 hours ago, johnny said:

To a lesser extend I would also like to know how they show the transparent building on the non-transparent foundation structure.  Is this in Photoshop or Chief?

The fact that you have to ask raises some ethical issues for me. Turns out it's photo shopped and I personally don't think it's cool to show a photoshopped image in Chief's marketing info without clearly stating that Chief does not have the capability to create such images without an external photo image editor.

I can see no reason that someone wouldn't buy Chief and begin to try and reproduce that image using only Chief's tools only to find out it can't be done within Chief. I would be pretty angry if I didn't know better. How many of those other shots required Photoshop to reproduce? And why isn't that mentioned in the brief article?

Surprisingly and unnecessarily deceptive IMO.

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, HumbleChief said:

The fact that you have to ask raises some ethical issues for me. Turns out it's photo shopped and I personally don't think it's cool to show a photoshopped image in Chief's marketing info without clearly stating that Chief does not have the capability to create such images without an external photo image editor.

I would have to agree with you Larry.  However I believe that a very close representation of what Adrean did in Photoshop could actually be done in Chief by using some lesser known tools in a very unconventional way.  It would not be easy and I don't have time to prove it right now but agree that the presentation would have been much more valuable if 3rd party software was not used for that purpose.

6 minutes ago, Chopsaw said:

I would have to agree with you Larry.  However I believe that a very close representation of what Adrean did in Photoshop could actually be done in Chief by using some lesser known tools in a very unconventional way.  It would not be easy and I don't have time to prove it right now but agree that the presentation would have been much more valuable if 3rd party software was not used for that purpose.

I wrote them a letter concerning same. There's nothing inherently wrong with Photo Shopping images, heck we're fooled by them every day, but to not mention that the images were Photo Shopped, to me, is an ethical violation that I don't think is cool. Sure it removes some of the punch from the advert to know images were PS'd but what's more important, punch in an ad or honesty in an ad? I vote the latter...

• Upvote 1