3rd floor balcony

MarkSM

The Issue appears to be that you don't have a defined Room on the 2nd floor for the Staircase to start in , I added a Wall under the roof plane on the left to get Wall definition  and it is now working..... I didn't finish all the detailing , I fixed a few Walls only....but here is the Plan back.........

M.

Capture1.thumb.JPG.d21d62c7fd7642fdf57edcc28dfb2ece.JPGCapture.thumb.JPG.f45c4801861023e7334116c86fe11d5f.JPGCapture2.thumb.JPG.20bd38f272cbbae4be4c68c068868f9a.JPG

Van Asrdall_MHD.zip

9 minutes ago, MarkSM said:

Thanks, Mick. I don't why, but the simplest staircases still make me crazy.

No Problem , it wasn't the Staircase as such though , since you didn't have a "room" there on the lower balconey, there was no Floor for the staircase to build off so it was confused.

Looking into the balcony in 3D I could see under the Roof plane , so I was fairly sure what the issue was, knowing that IRL there would be a wall supporting that Roof Plane , I drew one in and didn't need to do anything special on the staircase except click "make best Fit" once the "room" was made.

M.

1 hour ago, tommy1 said:
10 hours ago, glennw said:

You can always control the top and bottom heights of a staircase directly in the dbx without any reference to floor or landing heights. 

Oh so true.

While true , I don't believe this is a good practice , the staircase was not building on the 2nd floor for a reason, ie the Model was not correct, as evidenced by the fact the staircase immediately drew correctly once the "Room" had definition and thus a Floor, which Staircases are programmed to "find" automatically. ( or the Terrain Plane if exterior stairs ).

In a Pinch would I / have I used this Tip ?  Yes.... but it's not one to use as SOP.... try and fix the underlying cause 1st.

M.

1 hour ago, tommy1 said:

Yes, but I was just saying....

Hi Tommy,  I know that both you and Glenn being CA Experts would not use this Tip in everyday use , I just didn't want others thinking this was normal procedure.

M.