Pdf Importing To Large

Jexline

Guys,

I am new to CA, I have been using the program for a about a month. When I first started using the program I could upload PDF's just fine and resize them to the actually dimension of the floor plan. All of a sudden my PDF's are importing very large, I have to drag the corners to display the whole image and when I do it's so large that it spreads across multiple page breaks. Does anyone have any insight on this? I asked CA support and they have been no help. They had me un-install and reinstall the program and still no luck. I am using x6 on my MAC

Thanks for the info. I am using Adobe for my PDF's right now. I just got off the phone with CA and he said no one is having issue but me. ha.

He had me take a screen shot of the PDF and uploading it that way. It worked, but it's not the real solution. 

I also use Adobe in a P.C. without any of those kinds of problems. I think it has to do with the add on (whatever they call it) that Chief uses for PDF's in the mac  I don't think its Chief's fault though. They are working on it.

My guess would be that you are creating a PDF with way more resolution than you need.  Try setting the resolution down to about 60-90 dpi.  It should then import into Chief at a much more reasonable physical size.  You might need to play with it a bit to get the best resolution but in the case of PDFs you really don't need anything more than 120 for use in Chief - smaller is better.

Couple things, I'm not sure why the pdf would be importing too large. The resolution thing is a fair guess, as pretty much everything in Chief is 72dpi. I was going to address the method of rescaling the plan though. The dragging from corners can be very annoying. I would use the transform replicate tool. With the pdf selected, it's like the 6th tool over from the left in the bottom toolbar. You'll have to do a little bit of math here as you will be finding the proper scale of the pdf. 1) Find a nice even measurement on your pdf. Say you have a wall that is 8' or 10' called out. 2) Now using your Point to Point Dimension tool, measure that same wall as approximately as you can to find it's size in Chief. 3) Now you have your ratio. Using some quick math, you can figure out that your pdf is x times larger than you want it to be. On a side note, if you do in fact find that your ratio is coincidentally the ratio of the difference in dpi between say 300/72 (Standard pdf size / Chief Standard size) then it's a pretty safe bet that it is in fact a dpi problem, and you can know this for the future. You could try scaling the pdf dpi size down to 72 before importing and see if that helps.) 4) Using your ratio, you can now go into the Transform Replicate tool and Resize the pdf. Just an alternative to dragging fro corners.

Which OS X? Mavericks, Mountain Lion, Yosemite? It may make a difference.

Does the problem occur when you don't have an external monitor attached? I assume by dual monitors that you are using the laptop screen and an external monitor. Or is your setup different?

• 7 months later...

CA just responded and said they were able to reproduce the issue using the same MAC setup I have. They are working on a resolution.

I'm running OS X 10.9.4 on a MacBook Pro with the retina display.

Did any resolution come of this?  I had this same problem and ultimately had to go back to PC for my CA needs.  neither CA or Apple could figure it out in the end.

Well that's not really a resolution.  I've used CA on several macs and only one did I have this enlarge PDF phenomenon and I really tried to come up with an answer and to no avail.  for whatever it's worth is was a refurbished purchased through the apple website(I ended up returning it).  considering that the same file behaved similar on several other machines I believe the problem was with the mac and not CA.  I've had plenty of other annoyances working on macs when it comes to PDF files too like ridiculously large file exports to name one big one.

I'm writing this post on a brand new 13" macbook right now. I like macs but they're are too unreliable and unsupported for serious CAD work in my opinion.