Program Lags

prorefinish

Hi,

My name is Adam. Sorry about any incorrect world but English is not my native language.

I have issue with Chief Architect Interior X10 version. Not all the time but very often the program is lagging or slowing down. Maybe my pc spec or I do not know.

My pc spec:

Motherboard: Asus X99 Deluxe II

Processor: Intel I7 6850K ( 6cores, 12 threads)

Memory: 32Gb Kingston DDR4 2133Mhz

Hard Drive: M.2 Samsung evo970pro 1Tb (the program and the catalogs running on this)

Graphic Card: Nvidia gtx 1080 (8Gb)

Monitor: Asus 4K (using 2K resolution)

Please give my any advice...

Thank you!

By your specs you should not be having a problem even at 4k. Yours are a little better than mine and I run 17 at 1080, 24 at 1920, & 27 at 2560- and I usually have a lot of views open and a couple of plan files.

Since you say"not all the time" I'm guessing it's plan dependent and since you are using Interior version I'm going out on a limb to guess that you may be importing a fair number of Sketchup symbols? and or making custom textrues?

IF you are then I'd look at those as the source of the issues. Symbols with large file size, high face count, large texture images DPI and size. The only other thing is using lots of live views that are set to update automatically.

I see Mick had the same idea :)

Welcome to the Forum....

I do not think it is your computer , it is very similar to mine  ( see my Signature ) but could you explain the "lag" a bit more , what is happening?

If you import a lot of Models from SketchUp (3D warehouse) be very careful to check the Polygon count as Chief doesn't like a lot of curved surfaces for example, they can really slow things down.

Also, it's good to have your Forum Signature filled in, especially with the Software Version, and of course a real Name is nice too :) ..............

See mine below in Blue for how to do that.

If you don't see my Signature then you have them turned off for the Forum so you need to Toggle it on by going to the Upper RH Corner of this Forum Window and Clicking on your Username and making sure Signature are enabled (green) and then Add your Own Sig. too :

UserName> Account > Signatures

M.

Thank you all answers. I do not importing any other models from 3D warehouse or SketchUp. Downloaded all available catalog from CA site. Only I used to use is other backdrop picture. So basically what I meant after I working with the  program couple of hours (5-8h) it start to lagging or frozen 5-6 sec when I try to do something. F.e. open library or open 3D view. What I thinking maybe some of cache memory starting fill up or my second think is I changed maximum undos from default to 50. Maybe this fill up something in the program or memory.

I am not say this is something with the software at all just want to figure out what should be

Try changing your undo back to say 10 instead of 50 and see if it improves any. I like the idea of 50 undos but it will cost you in performance. Your system will handle it more than mine but yours will still probably suffer at some point. Also try closing CA down (after saving your work of course) and restart. I still have to do that if I have been working in the same session for several hours because CA will become "squirrely" at times. This has been discussed on the forum before. CA just seems to have some type of memory leak or something and needs reloading.

32 minutes ago, prorefinish said:

As you can see on the short video f.e. when install cabinet and I clicking it is looks like frozen for a moment. Or when I search in the library it is not smooth as I except. Maybe I am too stickler I do not know.

Untitled.mp4

X10 uses the new Ray Cast Sun Shadows (RCSS) in ALL views including the Library, Dialog Boxes (DBX) etc , so it may help too, in Preferences set DBX's and the Library to show Previews in Vector View instead since they should "draw" faster, turning off Shading (shadows) in Vector Views may help too in this regard.

I have not found an undo of 10 is any better than one of 50 in regards to "Lag" , it does help in my testing to have both Chief's Undo and Temp Folders on the Fastest SSD in the System (NVME=best) so I have made my own Folder on C:\ Drive and set them in Chief's Preferences to those Folders, as My Default Chief Data Folder is not normally on C: as I keep My Documents on an extra Drive ( now a separate SSD , (the old C:Drive now A: ) after getting the NVME SSD.

It is important to Chief during Updates that the Temp Folder is on C: otherwise Updates do no seem to work correctly ...eg they don't work in my testing if the Temp folder is on a Ram disk.

I also have a batch file (.bat) I use to clean the Temp Folders out as the Undo Folder does not clean itself out very well when you close Chief and there is no reason to keep these Files as Chief will not be able to open them again anyway.

Closing Chief every few hours is always helpful I find , eg when you go to lunch or Coffee Break etc.

Thank you all of you guys. So all my folder, library, temp file everything on the C drive what is samsung 970pro M.2 NVMe. As you said it it fast (Read: 3580MB/s, Write: 2600MB/s. Tested) and have 800GB free space on it. I set program priority from normal to high in Task manager just in case. I am using win10 Home edition. Fresh Clean Installed 4 days ago. All drivers up to date (including Nvidia came out today).  What I was thinking maybe I did not installed some program what CA needs is.

1 hour ago, Kbird1 said:

X10 uses the new Ray Cast Sun Shadows (RCSS) in ALL views including the Library, Dialog Boxes (DBX) etc , so it may help too, in Preferences set DBX's and the Library to show Previews in Vector View instead since they should "draw" faster, turning off Shading (shadows) in Vector Views may help too in this regard.

did you try this?

your computer is about as fast as it can be.....it had taken me a bit to get used to X10 and it's slight lag on opening views etc but eve the latest release ( .54) has not made things much better, I still suspect RCSS and it is better than when x10 1st came out but there is still that slight lag here and there.

M.

1 minute ago, prorefinish said:

Yes I did try but same. Anyway thank you guys. I think the issue is not in my rig.

I think you are right , I have just had to live with it ,despite having top of the line hardware like you.... you can turn off RCSS in alot of Views but in the Library and DBX's is not possible so the only option is Vector view.

M.

Correct it should not be your hardware. OTOH I get cabinet placement a bit faster than you on more complicated plans having more tabs open than what your video shows.

Your rig should be a tad faster than mine even though my C being RAID 0 could bench faster than yours. All the rest of yours is should be faster than mine. (and my plan files are on a HDD which I've tested keeping on both C and D-there is zero performance difference once the file is loaded.) When I compared I did place cabinets in elevation but I prefer placing symbols primarily in plan, especially cabinets- then again I'll often have an elevation (or several) open at the same time so may not matter. I don't get enough lag to fuss about. (dunno though since Mick seams to think what you show is not that far off)

If it's not Ray Casted Shadows....The only things I can think of :

What are your Windows Performance settings? I keep practically all of the eye candy/effects OFF. Other background programs? (even though you should be able to handle a good bit some can be trouble) run any performance monitors? Is heat control working well?

do you purge your plan materials? CAD blocks?

Is the file from an X10 template or earlier version?

Is it from multiple "save as" versions? (plans grow with repeated Save As)

As to the libraries-it appears from the video that you have quite a few? I don't think that slows the program itself down (?), but it will affect library searches (anyone know otherwise?) As libraries grow so does search time.  (My C:/ProgramData/Chief..totals out to 16GB, user library is another 900MB) But I handle search differently whenever possible...

I manage my libraries and rely heavily filters and the user library (with a filter just for it) AND project specific folders in the user library to minimize the need to search at all. For a lot of libraries I only copy a few things to my user library and delete that library. Downside is the copies won't update which I consider a small price to pay for performance.

FWIW I've found the GE catalog to be less than stellar, I avoid it as much as possible.

I rarely place Cabinets in 3D , I normally do all of that in 2D , then Open a Camera to check things out .

I got the GE Catalog to check it out in particular but don't see any difference in load times when selecting a category eg Cooking ie it "thinks about it" for a 1 or 2 count (depends on size of catalog) and then the preview Window loads in with the small previews. clicking one of them is more or less instant in either VV or STD View.

I do use Tiled to Fit Window and "Show Names"  , the preview pane in .54 seems as fast in VV or STD now unlike when X10 1st came out so I do think they worked on the RCSS issue in the Original X10 . I am not sure if CA generates previews thumbs and then subsequent openings of the catalog would be faster , not having to do it again but perhaps it needs to generate the previews every time?

M.

Thanks for the followup , good to know , years ago the advice was to only install those Catalogs you really needed and not every one available in the Online Library, I just Ordered a new Laptop , so I may have to try this old strategy too.

M.