Save As

BillsburgChief

Is there any con's (or pro's) to using save as to start new plans that are of similar designs?  Should I instead be saving different design styles as a template and start each file using the template (i.e. Craftsman, Colonial, Contemporary)?  

54 minutes ago, BillsburgChief said:

Is there any con's (or pro's) to using save as to start new plans that are of similar designs?  Should I instead be saving different design styles as a template and start each file using the template (i.e. Craftsman, Colonial, Contemporary)?  

I call that the SAM.  I have been using this method for 17 years.  It works for me.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, DRAWZILLA said:

I think I'll be drawing until I'm dead b/c I like it and wouldn't know what to do without it.

That's what my wife says about me. I do hope I can at least slow down some with the project load. Maybe the coming "pop" in the housing bubble will do it for me...do you think? Maybe then I can only work on McMansions for the Millennials. :lol:

5 minutes ago, DRAWZILLA said:

I think I'll be drawing until I'm dead b/c I like it and wouldn't know what to do without it.

ditto,  I threaten to retire a least once a week but I don't think Lynn would want me around that much.  

I am retired and still use Chief for personal modeling of historical buildings that my family owned during the 1800's

that were "world-famous" :)

I would love to be doing modeling as a "job" but my health prevents me from meeting deadlines and appointments

If I could only do things on my schedule :(

Lew

Some things that make the "save as" method less appealing to me:

I develop a lot of plans in parallel, so which do I use as a template?  I might add a new anno set to plan 1 that I don't need on plan 2, but plan 2 I added a new defauly that i didnt really need on plan 1.  But both of these developments to my "template" are things I want to have ready for my next new plan.  

Every few releases of Chief I will start an entire brand new template, using the OOB default template as a starting point.  I will build it up by importing defaulsts, layersets and anno sets from my old template after going through and stripping things that have fallen out of use.  This ensures that my default plan isn't accumulating waste over the years.

During my workflow, I will now and then add something to my plan in terms of a default, anno set, etc.  When I decide that I want it on my template I open the template file and add.  That is how I've built it out over the years.