Ridiculous Redraw Times

BeeoHat

Go to solution Solved by Doug_Park,

I'm modelling my son's as built home. When I started out, any changes/additions to the plan were processed very quickly, and 3D redraws very fast.

I've obviously made some change(s) to some settings, because now it takes at least 90 seconds to redraw. Even if I open a dbx to view/confirm some settings, if I click OK I have to wait the 1.5 minutes, and that's even if I made no changes in the dbx.

I looked everywhere I know, turning off all auto rebuilds of framing, etc., to no avail.

Plan is attached. Help would be appreciated.

Mark's Aug 24.zip

• Solution

I assume you are running on the Mac Mini listed in your signature.

Based on your description it sounds like your system has run low on memory. Which may be due to Chief or some other application. Mac applications are notorious for leaking memory. A reboot of the computer would likely correct the problem.

Chief can use a lot of memory for certain operations. Keep an eye on the memory usage and close windows in Chief that you don't need.

The HD Graphics on your system are not the snappiest around, but should not be as slow as you describe especially for the fairly simple model that you posted. However, if your system starts to use virtual memory the swapping of memory to/from disk can easily result in the slowness you report.

• Upvote 1

Very quick re-draws on my system but my system is pretty quick.

Plan looks very simple but I remember other posts about some objects with a LOT of surfaces and that would increase redraw times a lot but the only thing I see that might meet that standard are the balusters. Maybe try and change them to a simpler design? Not much help I'm afraid so must be something system specific.

Maybe the Gazebo? Again not much help here - good luck.

Bill, opened your plan on my Lenovo Yoga 2 Pro (see my signature) - did not see any of the slowness that you described. Doug Park provided the best advice, IMHO.

Memory usage went from 2.5 GB RAM (CA not running) to 2.8 GB RAM (CA running with your plan open) so your plan itself does not put a big load on system memory.

Sorry I can't be more help.

I brought this up on my MacBook Air. 1.7GHz i5 with HD 4000 graphics. I couldn't find anything that seemed particularly slow. Even with shadows turned on the 3D views were pretty much realtime to zoom and rotate. Editing in 3D seemed fairly snappy as well. I do have 8 GB of memory, but the system was using less than 2GB. Chief was using about 300MB.

If you see this again bring up your Activity Monitor and see if there is anything chewing a lot of memory or CPU cycles.

Many thanks for the suggestions. It appears that memory is the problem, caused mainly by my having other programs open and running. When I run Chief only, rendering times are pretty well back to normal.

Thanks again.