Bottom of hanging wall creating hole in ceiilng

EngnrJuanL

Hello, first post here.

The plan has a U-shape stair with a landing at about 88" from the floor.

In this case, the lower part of the 2nd stair just hangs in an open area.

The stair is closed underneath, but the Close Underneath stair option is not enough, because the height of the "ceiling" under the stair is not controlled.

This ceiling under the stairs is 81" from the floor.

My workaround was to create two ceiling planes, and a wall on the side of the stair, that I've edited from the bottom up.

The problem is that this ceiling is under the stair and wall (on the same floor), and the wall creates a hole in the ceiling. I can't seem to completely 'encase' the stair from under the stair.

Any help would be appreciated.

Attached a snapshot.

Capture.JPG

8 minutes ago, EngnrJuanL said:

Solution: Select the wall, Open Specs, go to Roof, Check: Roof Cuts Wall at Bottom.

(Even though there's no Roof involved)

I do not believe this changes anything.  I selected the wall and unchecked "....  roof cuts wall at bottom" and it changed nothing.

However his solution of adjusting shape of wall in elevation does work and I believe this is the best solution to date.

17 hours ago, solver said:

Thanks Eric.  I did not fully explore this...  you can remove the ceiling and the wall will stay sloped,  which is what I had done.

This is a pretty cool tool to auto cut that roof for the stairs.  The point is,  once you have used the ceiling plane to shape the wall,  the ceiling can be eliminated without effecting the shape of the wall at the bottom.  In fact you can then select wall and uncheck roof cuts wall at bottom and the wall will still remain sloped at the bottom.

Thanks for the tip.

1 hour ago, dshall said:

Thanks Eric.  I did not fully explore this...  you can remove the ceiling and the wall will stay sloped,  which is what I had done.

This is a pretty cool tool to auto cut that roof for the stairs.  The point is,  once you have used the ceiling plane to shape the wall,  the ceiling can be eliminated without effecting the shape of the wall at the bottom.  In fact you can then select wall and uncheck roof cuts wall at bottom and the wall will still remain sloped at the bottom.

Thanks for the tip.

Good Info thanks Scott , I had not explored that far either.....

M.

22 minutes ago, DRAWZILLA said:

Couldn't you just leave that ceiling plane in place and make it a drywall material to cover up the bottom edge.

Yes,  but if I am not mistaken,  the fact that the bottom of the wall is sloped,  it auto puts in a sheet of drywall.

Try is,  delete ceiling plane and it still looks good.

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/24/2018 at 11:39 AM, dshall said:

Yes,  but if I am not mistaken,  the fact that the bottom of the wall is sloped,  it auto puts in a sheet of drywall.

Try is,  delete ceiling plane and it still looks good.

I tried deleting the plane and it reformed the walls without the slope.  I selected retain wall framing on the wall settings, and it still does this. Also, If I bring the edge of the ceiling plane flush with the wall, the wall runs through the ceiling plane and it loses the angled bottom.  I'm assuming there is another setting I missed?