Tutorial Issues: Porch Steps (X10)

CAcygrymus

Hi folks, I have been working my way through the tutorial for X10 Premier.

A couple small errors in the text have come up that I slogged through, but I have come up to one that is a bit more on the serious side: Creating the front porch, I have tried my darndest multiple times to follow the instructions to a T, however when placing the porch steps, the steps continue to be placed without an opening in the half-wall. The top stair looks to be lining up a couple inches below the bottom of the pony wall, top of the foundation. No such issue with the stairs leading from the deck in the back of the house.

In general, is there a place to find out known errors in the tutorial text?

Thanks folks.

stepspersp.JPG

stepsplan.JPG

2 hours ago, solver said:

Not that I know of. Report to Chief if the instructions are unclear or incorrect.

Stairs only create openings in railing walls.

You know I suspected as much.

I just went back and double checked. The tutorial specifically instructs one to choose Build>Wall>Straight Half Wall (This is after earlier setting the defaults of the halfwall in the chapter).

I appreciate the fast responses folks. 

29 minutes ago, DRAWZILLA said:

Are automatic openings checked in your stair defaults?

Short answer: Yes.

The defaults that were earlier set up work perfectly for the deck railing on the other side of the tutorial home. The concrete porch is where the tutorial looks to be in error (I learned quickly that googling "chief architect tutorial errors" was pointless :) )

3 minutes ago, Kbird1 said:

Are you sure the Stairs snapped to the the edge of the floor ?  cos if the wall is marked as a Railing it should work....

Capture.thumb.JPG.e052c82d687947b59e85eaccd9bbbc5e.JPG

I have all snaps on and tried several times to snap elsewhere along that wall (as well as the vertical one on the side). Snapping to any of the wall layers results in the same non-opening.

Even moving the stairs THROUGH the wall does not create an opening.

1 minute ago, CAcygrymus said:

No joy. They go through the wall and appear to yank the top piece of the wall down.

Capture.JPG

Is that a Pony Wall around the Porch?  perhaps that is the Issue ...change the wall type to test it ...

M.

17 minutes ago, Kbird1 said:

Is that a Pony Wall around the Porch?  perhaps that is the Issue ...change the wall type to test it ...

M.

Earlier in the tutorial they have the default half wall set as a pony wall, so that is how they have you drawing the porch walls. After unchecking the pony wall for the wall that the stairs enter, the stair opening is created correctly.

So it indeed looks like a pony wall issue. Will leave it as a non pony wall for the sake of my sanity. Still rather irked that I have to deviate from the tutorial in order to get the tutorial to work correctly. Not conducive to decent learning. Unless you count coming here and getting advice part of the learning process. :)

Edit: Played around with it a little more. Perhaps part of the issue was the overall height of the half-wall/Pony-wall. Once I turned it into a non pony wall it created an opening just the height of the stair railing. Once I pulled the wall height below the handrail it seemed to be OK (but had no top stair post at the wall opening). It allowed me to change it back to the pony wall with the same overall adjusted height.

So now there is the opening in the pony wall, but some of the pony wall extends into the top step and there are no posts at the top of the stairs. (See updated pic)

Capture.JPG

29 minutes ago, CAcygrymus said:

Earlier in the tutorial they have the default half wall set as a pony wall, so that is how they have you drawing the porch walls. After unchecking the pony wall for the wall that the stairs enter, the stair opening is created correctly.

So it indeed looks like a pony wall issue. Will leave it as a non pony wall for the sake of my sanity. Still rather irked that I have to deviate from the tutorial in order to get the tutorial to work correctly. Not conducive to decent learning. Unless you count coming here and getting advice part of the learning process. :)

Edit: Played around with it a little more. Perhaps part of the issue was the overall height of the half-wall/Pony-wall. Once I turned it into a non pony wall it created an opening just the height of the stair railing. Once I pulled the wall height below the handrail it seemed to be OK (but had no top stair post at the wall opening). It allowed me to change it back to the pony wall with the same overall adjusted height.

So now there is the opening in the pony wall, but some of the pony wall extends into the top step and there are no posts at the top of the stairs. (See updated pic)

Capture.JPG

Looks like you found your 1st Bug !  :)  make sure to report it please so it gets fixed.....

and don't forget to fill in your Sig. Please.

M.

16 minutes ago, CAcygrymus said:

Also uncertain how I feel about the cement steps having a gap between to the foundation:

Turn on the reference layer (F9) and drag the staircase in till it snaps to the red line shown for the foundation wall..... 

If you have 2 storeys? ....you will need to switch the reference line for the 1st floor to the foundation 1st....

5 minutes ago, Kbird1 said:

Turn on the reference layer (F9) and drag the staircase in till it snaps to the red line shown for the foundation wall..... 

Snapped to foundation. Now to deal with the section of pony wall at that top step.

In retrospect I am somewhat glad it is a bug and not my capacity to follow instructions. :)

Looks like I have to break the wall in order to get rid of the section of pony wall beneath the "landing", then draw a room divider, then designate it as a porch. But it then strips the pony wall from the wall opening ends. I have to admit it is fun trying to figure out a way to get around this.

20 minutes ago, CAcygrymus said:

Now to deal with the section of pony wall at that top step.

If the Room is labelled as a Porch I get the siding still on the edge of the Floor , if it is labelled a Patio I don't

note: CA always brings the siding down to the bottom of the Floor platform ...whatever it is....

not sure if a "Patio" causes other issues though....

5 minutes ago, Kbird1 said:

Inot sure if a "Patio" causes other issues though....

In respect to the tutorial, the "porch" has foundation walls drawn underneath. Wouldn't a patio be a foundationless slab?

See pic for progress. Looks close to what I want, but there is no Newal at the top, so the half-wall-rail has it's pony section exposed.

Capture.JPG