What is Best Practice for sending full set to Structural Engineer

deesee

Hello,

I'm working on a project where I now need to get CAD files to my structural engineer. I need to send him all floor plans, elevations, sections, etc. What is the best way to do this? I tried File/Export....but that does one view at a time. Is that really the only way? Is there no way to do the entire thing at once?

I send the PDF of the plan set and then I send each page view of the layout as a .dwg file set ot the exact AutoCAD version that the Engineer uses. That way he or she can see the intended plan set in PDF format and the raw files that make up that layout file in raw AutoCAD format using the "AIA.layer set"  (Demo plan, proposed floor plan, elevations, a cross section, roof plan etc) so he or she does not have to redraw everything from scratch in AutoCAD. Most Engineers these days use some Version of AutoCAD.

DJP

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, DavidJPotter said:

I send the PDF of the plan set and then I send each page view of the layout as a .dwg file set ot the exact AutoCAD version that the Engineer uses. That way he or she can see the intended plan set in PDF format and the raw files that make up that layout file in raw AutoCAD format using the "AIA.layer set"  (Demo plan, proposed floor plan, elevations, a cross section, roof plan etc) so he or she does not have to redraw everything from scratch in AutoCAD. Most Engineers these days use some Version of AutoCAD.

DJP

I do very similar to the above.   I, however, remove most thing engineers dont care about.   I 'strip down' the plan to make it easy on them.   I remove windows and doors (since all they want is the opening).   I remove all wall layers.   One guy I work with also likes when I send him a 3d model.  I export in obj and he opens in his cad to verify beams will fit under roof...etc.  (very nice to have a guy that actually double checks this stuff).

2 hours ago, VisualDandD said:

I do very similar to the above.   I, however, remove most thing engineers dont care about.   I 'strip down' the plan to make it easy on them.   I remove windows and doors (since all they want is the opening).   I remove all wall layers.   One guy I work with also likes when I send him a 3d model.  I export in obj and he opens in his cad to verify beams will fit under roof...etc.  (very nice to have a guy that actually double checks this stuff).

When sending as a dwg using Chief AIA layer set they end user can easily turn off any named layers in AutoCAD just as in Chief or any other CAD program, what you do is wasted time and unnecessary.

DJP

23 hours ago, DavidJPotter said:

When sending as a dwg using Chief AIA layer set they end user can easily turn off any named layers in AutoCAD just as in Chief or any other CAD program, what you do is wasted time and unnecessary.

DJP

I am not familiar with that.  Been using my own layer sets and Anno sets for a long time.  Takes as much time as just selecting the layset I want to export.   All my wall lines, fills etc are layerset defined.  

I'll check out the pre defined ones...but I have adopted my ways to work well for the way I work.  I even have layersets that generate marketing materials.  (Solid fill black walls, no dims, turn on room sized, upsize room text labels....etc).  I am a big fan of letting Anno sets do the work for you.

1 hour ago, VisualDandD said:
On 2018-08-20 at 12:39 PM, DavidJPotter said:

DJP

I am not familiar with that. 

I am not either , and don't think I have ever seen it , maybe one you made years ago David ?

M.

19 minutes ago, DavidJPotter said:

Chief offered this layer set for years but is now not shipped with X8, X9, and X10. I have versions back to Version 7 so I still have that and import that layer set into X10 etc. Of course you guys can do whatever seems right to you, as always.

DJP

X3 Layer Sets.layers

Ahhh .... okay that would explain it..... X5 was the earliest Version I saw , HD Pro before that which doesn't have layersets ....

Thanks for the Layerset download , appreciate it.   Might be a good one to Add to the Tips Forum David , so it doesn't get lost in this Thread...

M.