Bump Maps

stager386

5 minutes ago, stager386 said:

Here is PBR, lights adjusted to 100 and cans off.  Why does it look like this?

ca image.jpg

DL 20 min ago..

some things to note. turn down your bump maps, they are way too strong. don't be afraid to crank up your roughness, everything is shiny..especially in PBR.

Careful with hard lights. 

here is an instant pbr with some material changes:

5b7b4b01543aa_testmaterials.thumb.jpg.9b81fd4f89ae2c23142a2099d9debb45.jpg

5 minutes ago, stager386 said:

Here is PBR, lights adjusted to 100 and cans off.  Why does it look like this?

ca image.jpg

You have Added 3D lights in the Plan , they are no Cans (Potlights) in the Plan but they are pretty bright...... try 500 lumens

If you have turned them all off that is about what I would expect to see  as it is lit from the Windows only....

13 minutes ago, Renerabbitt said:

DL 20 min ago..

some things to note. turn down your bump maps, they are way too strong. don't be afraid to crank up your roughness, everything is shiny..especially in PBR.

Careful with hard lights. 

here is an instant pbr with some material changes:

5b7b4b01543aa_testmaterials.thumb.jpg.9b81fd4f89ae2c23142a2099d9debb45.jpg

What do you mean turn down bump maps? Where/how do I adjust them up or down?

10 minutes ago, Kbird1 said:

You have Added 3D lights in the Plan , they are no Cans (Potlights) in the Plan but they are pretty bright...... try 500 lumens

If you have turned them all off that is about what I would expect to see  as it is lit from the Windows only....

Oh of course!  I was confusing 3d plan lights and can lights. Thanks.

27 minutes ago, TheKitchenAbode said:

Here's a Ray Trace with the settings as outlined below. Ran 30 passes, 19 min.

5b7b47a7ebd51_Example_with_decor_Abode_RayTrace.thumb.jpg.106ddedd1546d53a080794314d16d84c.jpg

Changes

Sun Intensity = 1,000 Lux, Changed direction = Tilt -32, Direction 258.6

3D Lights = 100 lumen, height off of floor = 55"

Two Floor Lamps = 400 lumen

Auto Built Roof, Foundation with Floor

Added Bump Map to Floor (just used texture file) and changed to Polished

Environment Lighting = Off

Photon Mapping = On

Direct Sun =50

Ambient Occlusion = min 0, Max 1.5

Image Properties = 50,40,25,51,48,75,40

How do I add bump map to floor? That is one of my original questions....that I don't know how to get or use bump maps.

6 minutes ago, stager386 said:

How do I add bump map to floor? That is one of my original questions....that I don't know how to get or use bump maps.

Kirk linked you to the KB Tutorial this morning about that , post no# 8? approx.....  it's in the Material Definition on the Textures tab, I mentioned that in post no#3

If you turn down ambient occulsion in the Camera Properties to about 20 instead of 100% you won't get the weird shadow in the Corners too

M.

1 minute ago, Kbird1 said:

Kirk linked you to the KB Tutorial this morning about that , post no# 8? approx.....  it's in the Material Definition on the Textures tab, I mentioned that in post no#3

M.

I looked at all that.  I am not able to add bump maps. 

7 hours ago, stager386 said:

Graham's settings work pretty well ( as expected ) , I made a few small changes for my view but found the Couches were using an image of a fireplace front with flames for the materials in the 1st RT , so I made a few other changes and reshot it. It actually looks good in PBR too ...see saved camera plan below.

5b7bbefae83f3_LivingRoom_2.thumb.jpg.c5751f3e195fb8ce0d8229227853c5f1.jpg5b7bbef5c420b_LivingRoom_1.thumb.jpg.fb47a8668a928fe9082f0bfa60722f49.jpg

MHD_Example with decor.plan

5 hours ago, Kbird1 said:

Graham's settings work pretty well ( as expected ) , I made a few small changes for my view but found the Couches were using an image of a fireplace front with flames for the materials in the 1st RT , so I made a few other changes and reshot it. It actually looks good in PBR too ...see saved camera plan below.

5b7bbefae83f3_LivingRoom_2.thumb.jpg.c5751f3e195fb8ce0d8229227853c5f1.jpg5b7bbef5c420b_LivingRoom_1.thumb.jpg.fb47a8668a928fe9082f0bfa60722f49.jpg

MHD_Example with decor.plan

I'm curious how was the couch using a fireplace image?

Do you bother much with resolution quality when you RT? In order to save rendering time, I usually RT at a smaller size, not active window size. And I have played around with low to high resolution.  Thoughts on that?

7 minutes ago, stager386 said:

Do you bother much with resolution quality when you RT? In order to save rendering time, I usually RT at a smaller size, not active window size. And I have played around with low to high resolution.  Thoughts on that?

It depends on your end goal for the image.

Pick the right size for the final output. The image size dialog offers an option to enter inches and DPI which is helpful if you know the size of the image to be printed.

If you are using it for something like an email or a website, however, then you can simply pick the size in pixels that you need for those mediums.

Essentially, just remember that you can usually scale an image down without losing quality, but you can never go up without losing quality.

8 minutes ago, stager386 said:

If you define your Ray Trace window size in pixels then the resolution setting has no effect. It only comes into play when the window is defined in say inches. In other words, if you set your window size in inches then it needs to know the DPI to determine the pixel size to run. Just keep in mind that if you double the size the Ray Trace time will quadruple.

3 hours ago, stager386 said:

I'm curious how was the couch using a fireplace image?

I am not sure what happened there , not sure if it was something to do with the Zipfile when you made it or something on my system ? ( maybe mine if no one else saw it?)

In the past I have had issues with Materials no having unique names or the same name as a default CA made material as CA will find those images 1st in it's folders before it looks elsewhere for them.

I usually use PBR now (lighting is easier with instant feedback)  but when I was doing more RTs I was usually using 1280 pixels x ( aspect ratio set by window size) as I mostly Email them to Clients and aren't printing them , and as Graham mentioned this fixes the DPI pretty much it seems and file sizes are small which is good for email or even sending to Layout.

12 minutes ago, stager386 said:

What are your sunlight settings?

The default Sun settings are way too high in general and they seem to balance themselves off the other lighting in the scene somehow , so one setting for all situations does not work in PBR. Another thing to note with PBR is that the light will pick up a Colour Cast from the backdrop image , ie green if alot of trees , orange if a sunset etc , a Sky Backdrop like Sky3 works fairly well but can make the scene a little "cool" being the backdrop is mostly blue...

Might be good to edit the 1st post and tag it with PBR and Raytrace too , so others can find the info in this Thread

M.

Light adjustment seems to be crucial to the PBR more so than Ray Tracing. I had somehow turned shadows on and I was getting all kinds of weird shadow lines in the PBR's.  But literally you need to open the lighting dialog and tweak all the lights until you get the result your after.  Seems like that is the smart way to get the image you want BEFORE you spend an hour or evening, doing a high resolution Ray Trace.

Thanks again everyone for your help.  I've learned a lot!  Here is another attempt, but still having issues with final pictures.  But some parts looks great. Here is a PBR and a RT and plan file.  If you can take a look and give me feedback on what's wrong.  The flooring should be light and in the RT it comes out dark, as does the desk.

Also, when I create a material (for the rug or the upholstery on the wood side chair) I cannot blend texture and color, else the whole thing takes on just one color.  I must be importing materials incorrectly or applying them wrong.  I design fabric, so it's important for me to be able to apply them.  Do I need to import the same fabric in different sizes to accommodate different size rugs, in order to keep the proportions right? Thank you!

Best PBR from RT A.jpg

Best RT from PBR A.jpg

Rug_Shopping_TT_594_light.plan

6 minutes ago, stager386 said:

Also, when I create a material (for the rug or the upholstery on the wood side chair) I cannot blend texture and color, else the whole thing takes on just one color.  I must be importing materials incorrectly or applying them wrong.  I design fabric, so it's important for me to be able to apply them.

Chief tends to import material at a set size eg 6" x 6" image or 20" x 20" ( check the Materials's texture Tab ) and make the size what you know it to be in the Image file used.......

You may also have issues if you are not using seamless textures with the "repeat" especially in Fabrics , so you would need to be careful making those material's seamless textures.

M.