Cabinet door with split panel material type

adventhomes

Is there a way to create a cabinet door style which is essentially a shaker with a mid rail and the top panel is glass whereas the bottom panel is solid (in this case paint grade)?

Basically the top 1/3 panels in the doors shown should be glass.  The only options I can see are either for both to be glass or both to be paint grade.

Screen Shot 2018-08-17 at 5.19.36 PM.png

You would need to recreate the door symbol and use separate materials for the panel and glass.  If you want to post a small sample plan file with that cabinet in it I could give it a try. Also what version of software you are using.

Place the door in a blank plan, 3D view. Make a polyline solid that matches the size of the top panel-make it glass and give it a fill color like red. Also open the door symbol to check where the stretch planes are.
Position you Pline solid where it would go in the door (which is why you used a filll) will have to do that both in plan and elevation. Then move it away a fixed distance you can remember-like 100". Use the delete surface tool to remove the upper panel. Move your glass psolid back in place-convert to a cabinet door symbol, set stretch planes.

22 hours ago, adventhomes said:

Is there a way to create a cabinet door style which is essentially a shaker with a mid rail and the top panel is glass whereas the bottom panel is solid (in this case paint grade)?

Basically the top 1/3 panels in the doors shown should be glass.  The only options I can see are either for both to be glass or both to be paint grade.

Screen Shot 2018-08-17 at 5.19.36 PM.png

Made a quick video on how I'd make the door...I'm not an expert so someone may chime in with a better method...

3 hours ago, SNestor said:

so someone may chime in with a better method.

Nice video.

I switched from using psolids for rails and stiles to using cabinets for the frames and psolids. Easier to change rail styles widths on the fly and allows me to have the door symbol in the library set to "use default" which saves time in the long run.  I still use psolid for panel (unless I already have a wainscot panel made) then copy and paste in place then convert to pline then again to 3D molding line for framing beads. When using a framing bead or making a raised panel door delete the cabinet to make a wainscot panel. The wainscot panel is handy and faster when remaking door with different rail/stile widths.

Just a plan attached, no video. One of my saved door symbol plans with a few copy/move and adjusted to show variations and parts. The two on the right came from a different plan and are a little different They use door symbols for rails and stiles. A while back Renerabbit said that eased edges look better in higher quality renderings so I made some door symbols for rails and stiles with eased edges. Don't know if they are eased enough to make a difference but stopped playing with it. Used a similar principal for door with edge profile.

Doors Misc.plan