The Big Secret

GerryT

It's not a big secret that GRAPHISOFT is already working on an official Python API. - Tibor Lorantfy - Graphisoft

Revit, Rhino, Vectorworks and Allplan all have Python support. Form-Zis working on Python. Sketchup does ruby.

Although i do think that Python may integrate better, I still think Ruby is a easier language to learn for the novice. And ruby 3 will have some advanced features.

Wonder where Chief is and what is their position is now? -- With a few improvements and a keyboard interface using Chief's hotkeys, I think Chief's Ruby API could quickly rival the above in versatility? Are Chiefer's going to be left behind? What do you think? Open up Data Access in CA.

On 8/16/2018 at 7:34 AM, GerryT said:

Revit, Rhino, Vectorworks and Allplan all have Python support. Form-Zis working on Python. Sketchup does ruby.

Although i do think that Python may integrate better, I still think Ruby is a easier language to learn for the novice. And ruby 3 will have some advanced features.

Wonder where Chief is and what is their position is now? -- With a few improvements and a keyboard interface using Chief's hotkeys, I think Chief's Ruby API could quickly rival the above in versatility? Are Chiefer's going to be left behind? What do you think? Open up Data Access in CA.

I wonder how many Chief users and users in general are interested in any kind of Python or Ruby support? And really just that, curious. I dabbled in Ruby and found no real use for it within my work flow and of course others invest countless hours creating uses for same. For me the question is moot but I wonder how deep the interest goes both within the user base and within the halls of Chief?