UPDATE ALL VIEWS still not working, anybody else see this?

dshall

I don't think Update All Views is supposed to update your elevations and until all the other problems with the software are resolved I think it should stay that way despite it being labeled incorrectly.

However what you are seeing there may be a different issue all together.  I am still having issues with doors and other similar items not generating their profile lines correctly and your AC unit may be a similar  situation.

Possibly to make it clearer Update All View should do just that and then an override for each layout box could be activated to lock the view if necessary.  This would turn on automatically if the edit layout lines tool was used.

1 hour ago, Chopsaw said:

Will it clear itself if you update just that view ?

yes,  what also worked for me to hit the update all views button again.  

It's all good now,  but I thought the purpose of the button was to hit it and all views are updated.

7 minutes ago, dshall said:

I did not realize you were having issues too.

I have sent it in and they say they cannot repeat the behavior.

I just open and close the view sent to the layout, this is especially true when starting a new job and coping and renaming the plan file then open the layout re-link it and the old elevations still exist

Scott Hall,

I'm still having a problem with updating views. Even when I right click on individual views and update that view I have to do it twice before the detail shows up. Mostly what is missing is any equipment like plumbing fixtures and appliances; door profiles also go missing. It's REALLY frustrating. It so easy to forget to update any single view when you have pages of them. 

-Cait

2 minutes ago, ckirste said:

I'm still having a problem with updating views. Even when I right click on individual views and update that view I have to do it twice before the detail shows up. Mostly what is missing is any equipment like plumbing fixtures and appliances; door profiles also go missing. It's REALLY frustrating.

Please document as carefully as you can and send in to tech support as they are aware of this problem but are having issues reproducing and fixing it and they need to know it is happening to other people.

4 minutes ago, ckirste said:

It so easy to forget to update any single view when you have pages of them. 

As I indicated above this is complicated as you really don't want chief to delete all of your edits automatically when you go to print without any option to preserve all that extra work you have done.  Ideally it should all be able to be detailed live but we are not there yet.

This is a real mess.  I was just going over my notes for a final time and was looking at one after updating a section view. "Existing Structure......."  and there was no existing structure showing at all. All the cross boxes for the joists were missing.  Tried an update or two and nothing until I opened the view and updated it on closing. 

I have had plenty of cosmetic issues but not usually structure so this is much more serious than I previously thought.

I will make another report for tech support but if anyone else is experiencing this please report it with passion.

And be EXTREEMLY careful to check your work until this is fixed.

Hi everyone,

DSHall, I'm most curious about your issue since you started this thread. it seems that the Cross Section Lines did not get updated, or perhaps Horizon lines were not erased, leaving the outline of the AC Unit's location is still drawn.  This is unusual and not something I have personally seen before.  I checked your case history and didn't see any record of this case being submitted.  If you still have a plan that's exhibiting this that you feel is reproducible, or saved in this state, please send it in to us via the Technical Support Center so we can look it over.  I would be curious too if you see this happens again, if you select the Layout Box and hit Layout Box Layers, if you toggle "Cross Section Lines" off, do these lines disappear?

I would ask Cait and anyone else encountering something similar to also send in your plans with clear steps to reproduce.

Chopsaw, I think your issue is different.  First though I would clarify that "Update All Views" absolutely is meant to update literally all views, Elevation or otherwise.  The Toolname is based on the other tools in that set: Update All Live Views, Update All Plot Line Views, and Update All Views.  The implication here is that Update All Views will update all Live Views (all 3D views) as well as 2D Views that are set to Plot Lines (rather than Live View Update On Demand).

Having looked at the current case you have open with us, looking at the plan that was attached and having watched your videos, I think the issue here really is confusion over how the different views work, compounded by plan complexity.  In one video you showed how a door looked different in one view than it did in another, that it "lost detail" until the view was updated.  This, I believe, is due to the way Plot Line views work; architectural elements are not updated on Plot Line views because of how the program has to plot the lines within that view.  As Drawzilla suggested, opening and closing the view (or hitting the Update View button on that view) will force it to redraw those lines.  You can see the same behavior in many ways, for instance if you have the Layout and Elevation side by side and move a door or window, it will not update on the Layout until that view is manually updated.  This is one of the main reasons we implemented Live Views (that and having live 3D views, of course).  So in your example it would seem that at some point in time the door in question changed from a Slab type to a panel type, but only one view had been updated, so the old views still showed the Slab door (or vice versa).  Using Update All Plot Line Views will force these views to update, however the Layout you recorded the video on and sent in is very, very large and takes several minutes for my computer to complete this update, so I fear there may be some issue with the time that it takes, having an impact on the update, that is an issue with this layout, not the tools.  Regardless, Plot Line views have always needed a manual refresh to update architectural changes (that is to say, drawing CAD or text on the Elevation will immediately be visible on the Layout without refreshing), but Live Views set to Update Always, do not.

I think the bottom line here is that there is expected behavior depending on the types of views you are using, and in most cases it works as expected, but when it does not, we need these instances to be reported to Technical Support, preferably via the Support Center with a plan and layout, screenshots, and steps to reproduce.

I hope this helps explain some things, but again I urge anyone who feels that this feature is not behaving properly, please submit your plans and we'll see what we can find.

Sometimes I am seeing things like these remnants after updating a view but after I change pages or back to plan, this corrects itself on the next refresh. I would complain about it but there is a long line of monsters ahead of this in the line of my life to complain about (teenager and 12 year old at home and I currently have their phones confiscated. Yes, I am wearing armor).

1 hour ago, taylorb said:

Chopsaw, I think your issue is different.  First though I would clarify that "Update All Views" absolutely is meant to update literally all views, Elevation or otherwise.  The Toolname is based on the other tools in that set: Update All Live Views, Update All Plot Line Views, and Update All Views.  The implication here is that Update All Views will update all Live Views (all 3D views) as well as 2D Views that are set to Plot Lines (rather than Live View Update On Demand).

Taylor, thank you for clarifying this,however I have experienced otherwise many times.  Could you please also explain which function is automatically activated when printing. Plot Lines are not supposed to update on printing so there must be another action that is preformed at that time.  Is it the same as "Update All Live Views" ?

My case may be a little different but I have also experienced failures almost exactly the same as Scott posted at the top of this thread.

There may actually be three separate situations going on here or possibly even four.  Plot Lines not generating properly. Plot lines not generating and displaying in the correct layer order. Plot lines being disrupted and incomplete for symbols. Plot lines and cross boxes not generating for framing members.  Plot lines being offset from the object they represent.  Oops maybe that is five issues.

So in your example it would seem that at some point in time the door in question changed from a Slab type to a panel type, but only one view had been updated, so the old views still showed the Slab door (or vice versa). 

Please review that video again because if what you say is true there is an even larger problem with the software.  That door was never a slab door and why would a slab door display the shadows of a panel door which are clearly visible in the video and the plot lines are missing until I updated it to show you that they were missing on the previous update that I could not have recorded unless I was to record everything I do on a daily basis.  And are views not up to date when they are sent to layout ?

Actually going back and reviewing my own video it actually proves what I am saying because I made a copy of an existing layout box and explained exactly what I had updated and why and the original was ok and the copied and updated version was not until I updated it again for the door which was not revised.

This is an issue that is more serious than just wasted paper so I hope you have the respect and skills to fix it.

The reason it is not reproducible with your testing procedures is because your testing procedures are not the same as what we put the software through on a daily or nightly basis.

Taylor,

I consistently have to update a view twice in order to get the details to show up. So, for example I'll update and the plumbing disappears and the doors show as slabs and then I'll click update view again and the detail shows up. It happens very consistently with me.

Thanks,

Cait

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, taylorb said:

As Drawzilla suggested, opening and closing the view (or hitting the Update View button on that view) will force it to redraw those lines. 

These techniques are not working the same way as I stated in the unnumbered post just before yours that I tried the manual update twice or actually maybe 3 time and then remembered Perry saying that he opens and closes and tried that and it did work but who knows how many times I could have hit the other refresh button and it not worked. I was just in too much of a hurry to get finished to set up and record it even though I should have once I noticed that it was not working properly.

20 minutes ago, ckirste said:

It happens very consistently with me.

Thanks for posting Cait,  Is there anything consistent about when it happens other than when you don't want or need it to happen ?

I was at the end of a very long day which seems to be when a lot of issues show up with the software that tech support has no way of testing for because they don't draw plans and randomly revise them the way clients expect us to do for them.

I may have been experiencing some ALDO issues with layers jumping around but am not sure because that issue seems to have been more stable recently.  I was pretty sure that a layer that a saved camera was using changed settings on me for a layer that I was not using at all and then the items on that layer could not be selected even though they were not locked until I switched layersets and then went back again.

17 hours ago, taylorb said:

Hi everyone,

DSHall, I'm most curious about your issue since you started this thread. it seems that the Cross Section Lines did not get updated, or perhaps Horizon lines were not erased, leaving the outline of the AC Unit's location is still drawn.  This is unusual and not something I have personally seen before.  I checked your case history and didn't see any record of this case being submitted. .......

I have reported something similar.....  shadows not updating.  I communicated this with Brian about a year ago.  He was not able to reproduce it.  

I was doing a skype with Glenn and I could not reproduce with him.  However Glenn did witness that in a back clip cross section of the right side of a house with a slab foundation,  the slab would not be there one moment and I could see the bottom of the AC unit on the other side of the house,  I would close view and then reopen and then the slab foundation would be there and I would not be able to see the AC  unit on the other side of the house.  I would then reopen the view again and then the foundation would not be there and then I would be able to see the AC unit on the other side of the house again.  I did not report this.  If I stumble across that plan again,  (if I remember which plan it was),  I will send that in.

I started this thread hoping somebody would corroborate this behavior.  I think they have confirmed that something is amiss.

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Chopsaw said:

Is there anything consistent about when it happens other than when you don't want or need it to happen ?

Hi Chopsaw,

I have not noticed anything else that is consistently happening. This is the only project where I'm using CA at the moment and so am only working on it for revisions every other week or so as I hear from my client. Makes it a little hard to track what is happening. But when I posted last, I had been having the problem consistently during my work sessions.

I want to clarify that I had been having a lot of problems when I used the "Update All View" button, which I stopped using, I now only update views individually by clicking on the view to select and then using the right mouse button selection or the "Update View" button on the lower menu bar (sorry if I'm not using all the right terms on the interface).

Of course, this morning I opened CA and tried to replicate the problem to take some screenshots of before and after and it didn't happen - argh... after I said it happened consistently. I have not alter the views within layout - except for "Laundry - North" (shelving) so I don't know if there are issues with that workflow.

Like you I am "just in too much of a hurry to get finished " to really take note of issues. I've been using CA for a long time, but I am not using it on every project so am by no means an advanced user when it comes to best workflows. If I am having an issue I'll search this forum, then look on CA's support site, and then just move on to cobble together a solution if I can't resolve my problem. Then I'm on to the next project in other programs. 

-Cait

Layout Update.PNG

I went back to the plan that I was commenting on just before Taylor B. posted and was able to record the framing issue problem failure multiple times and sent in the file and system information they requested.  Hopefully it will work for them the way it did for me and can get it fixed. It is rare that this is reproducible after saving and closing the file and reopening the file but this time it was so I am hopeful.

On 8/24/2018 at 8:13 AM, dshall said:

I communicated this with Brian about a year ago.  He was not able to reproduce it.

Thanks for clearing this up, submitting cases direct to Testing is fine for getting the information to our developers, however there's no paper trail, so I'm sure there's a report about this case somewhere but we'd have to dig to find it.  Submitting these cases to Tech Support is best as it gives us something to go off of, we can very quickly look up your support cases and cross reference reports filed to testing/dev.

Thanks for clearing this up, submitting cases direct to Testing is fine for getting the information to our developers, however there's no paper trail, so I'm sure there's a report about this case somewhere but we'd have to dig to find it.  Submitting these cases to Tech Support is best as it gives us something to go off of, we can very quickly look up your support cases and cross reference reports filed to testing/dev.

This was submitted during BETA testing.  I assume you guys have a paper trail of submittals for BETA.

• Upvote 1