half moon/cup shaped counter

RaquelPorlamar

Hi Everyone, I am new here and relatively new using CA... I'm trying to create a half moon counter that gets slimmer toward the bottom. Height needs to be around the 36", width at top 40" and narrowing to 30 when reaching the floor. I hope you have the patience to explain step by step. I tried CAD, Curved half wall, bowed front counter and couldn't figure out how to completely manipulate the edges to make what I want.

see attached example - photos from madeinchine.com

Thank you all in advance

Cup-Shape-Logo-LED-Coffee-Shop-Counter-Cash-Bar-Counter (1).jpg

Cup-Shape-Logo-LED-Coffee-Shop-Counter-Cash-Bar-Counter.jpg

1. Draw a truncated pyramid as so:

pyramid1.thumb.PNG.3807b8997f506048cf5b8ce5caf0126b.PNGpyramid2.thumb.PNG.b288599c3f46911796b9de6eb4e27c12.PNG

This will be the curved counter piece.

2. Draw a cylinder in the center of the pyramid. Make it taller than the pyramid. This will be subtracted from the pyramid:

pyramid3.thumb.PNG.ed7d01bfcca299ffce4ded299a5c8e2d.PNGpyramid4.thumb.PNG.eaec4d9b9650d05d368809ae87f8e06c.PNG

3. Boolean subtract the cylinder from the cone:

pyramid5.thumb.PNG.72be638f8763f32a4e8d8422c4e04162.PNG

4. Draw a box, larger than the pyramid, and do another boolean subtraction:

pyramid6.thumb.PNG.f87ac7031a96f618116b8033bb15a00e.PNGpyramid7.thumb.PNG.1ceacbb8dc3a77a8fd7386f114fb27b0.PNG

5.  In ortho view, grab the rotate handle and rotate the shape 180 degrees to the proper orientation:

pyramid8.thumb.PNG.21b95867ae20b4c299ba4431c39be4b2.PNG

6. Now position the shape relative to the counter:

pyramid9.thumb.PNG.459dca3410136e417c7c1af8df5fff18.PNG

What this technique can't give you are the rounded edges on the curved shape, so a better alternative would be to create the shape in another program, such as Sketchup. That said, someone else on the forum may have a better method.

• Upvote 1

Pretty much the same thing.

I used  cad lines to determine the angle and the height if it were a complete cone (disconnect the lines or don't allow them to connect to begin with), drew a cone, copied and pasted in place, changed the diameter of the second cone and changed it's materials, subtracted small cone from large one, then added boxes to use to cut it in half and shorten it. When done flip it over in a 3D view

If it's less than half a circle it's harder to figure out-draw cad in plan first to get the diameters, then in elevation.

Conic Desk.png

Even easier:

1. Draw a CAD profile and save it to your library:

profile.thumb.PNG.b00cc74aa6ef58c7b42bfab7b4616d5e.PNG

2. Draw an arc and convert it to a molding polyline, then add the profile:

profile2.thumb.PNG.e936d21132b3cc07551b1bf009963cf5.PNG

3. Position it within the cabinets:

profile3.thumb.PNG.7b8b6092f7478f4470829303b93556b9.PNG

This method provides the lovely rounded edges on the curved piece.

• Upvote 2

I suspect the component you need really should have a piece removed that would interfere with the cabinets.

So to combine the best of both of Robert's ideas I would start with an accurate CAD profile drawn in elevation view and snap a face into that CAD profile and use the Revolve Object tool 5b745a9ec5d45_RevolveObjecttool.JPG.5ea259db226cd7e9506e3ddd5c43014a.JPG to rotate it 180°.  Then you have a solid that can be further refined using boolean operations.  Such as Solid Subtraction to cut out the unwanted underside.

Solid Countertop.jpg

31 minutes ago, RaquelPorlamar said:

I have the home interiors edition rather than the premier package

Unfortunately HDI can not do any of the above , not even HD Pro does , so an inverted Cone maybe your only Option? But HDI can not cut it....

Unless one of the kind Gentlemen here exports his model for you ?

The Home titles have their own Forum called HomeTalk over here : https://hometalk.chiefarchitect.com/?_fromLogin=1

Same Username and Password over there......someone may have a workaround over there?

It's good to have your Forum Signature filled in, especially with the Software Version, and of course a real Name is nice too :) ..............
See mine below in Blue for how to do that.

If you don't see my Signature then you have them turned off for the Forum so you need to Toggle it on by going to the Upper RH Corner of this Forum Window and Clicking on your Username and making sure Signature are enabled (green) and then Add your Own Sig. too :

UserName> Account > Signatures

M.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, RaquelPorlamar said:

Thank you gentlemen, I am way lost I see. But all good, I am considering converting to the latest in Premier. In the meantime I will go ahead and post under home interiors. Thank you for taking the time, I'll be around once I upgrade :)

Ciao

Here is symbol 40" at top, 30 bottom, 36 high, Not sure that is correct from photos but matches your dimensions.

Cup.calibz

22 minutes ago, rlackore said:

Raquel, maybe you're not longer monitoring this thread, but if you are, I recommend learning Sketchup. It's become a critical part of my Chief workflow, has many available plugins that make things easier, and can create your cabinet piece for import into Chief as a Symbol: caffevero.skp

vero.thumb.PNG.177ff3829ae6f07b57aab428d3b9d650.PNG

Hi Robert,

I do get the email notifications. This looks great. I do want to get into the sketchup too, when I have more time that is... this looks great. I am tempted to ask you to send it to me. I haven't used sketchup for CA yet.