Join corners of a gutter

pj42pj42

The issue I'm having is that the CAD element that I named "EaveGutter" does not go all the way around the house in one horizontal continuous band. 

It follows along the eve where the roof comes down parallel to the eave, but then when it arrives at any one of the gable ends, it follows up, in Z, at an angle like a rafter does, along the underside of the gable roof overhang.

However, there is a short section, about 6-8", that continues in the horizontal, just before it starts to angle upward along the bottom of the gable end overhang.

image.thumb.png.33e085ba46eda3a10dc241823d4c72a2.png

I was able to rotate the molding in the z-plane by using Build>Trim>3D Polyline and put part of the exterior trim in place, but: 

1) that 6-8" horizontal bit at the corner of the building is still missing and, 

2) the polylines do not form mitres whenever I attempt to use 3D Polyline.  (Image below is from a previous file version, Plot3V7).

image.thumb.png.2a65126458d716ffb8b7d3bfc26b75f8.png

So far I haven't been able to figure out how to break the continuous band EaveGutter that is created by using the exterior room approach in any way, nor can I find any way to manipulate one end of a trim element in Z unless it is a 3D Polyline.  However, I'm not sure I can get 3D Polylines to form mitred junctions.

image.thumb.png.6aff32c247229083370140d9d15e7d76.png

If the exterior room molding method is going to work, I need to be able to cut the EaveGutter at the arrows, or bend the molding at the arrow points, and move the molding up under the gable end overhangs.

When I sent the question to Chief Architect I included lots of description about how I had to put the EaveGutter up under the gable ends.  So, I'm really hoping that they did take that into account!

Plot3V11_2018_09_02.plan

49 minutes ago, pj42pj42 said:

If the exterior room molding method is going to work, I need to be able to cut the EaveGutter at the arrows

You can select the Exterior Room poly line , cut it with the cut line tools at the two spots indicated , then select the middle piece , open the DBX and select no molding on selected edge.

You have Gutters turned on for the Roof Planes AND the Ext. Room Polyline making Gutters , so they are fighting each other in some areas.

The Gable Ends you can probably apply the Gutter molding as a gable only Shadow Board and get close to what you want I think but the 3D molding line may work better?.

Capture.JPG

Capture1.JPG

40 minutes ago, pj42pj42 said:

Yes, a lot like that.  How did you do it?

All you 3D moldings lines seem to be there but they don't/didn't generate it seems as you have Soffits turned off in the Roof Plane DBX ,

setting them to on at 1/8" made them all appear, but because you have Gable Fascias Off you see the Gaps above them in 3D views...so it looks like you were 1/2 way there already.

I think Glenn probably sent the View to a CAD Detail from a Elevation view of the gable copied the bottom Fascia Line and then copied and pasted it back with hold position in the Elevation Section view and then converted the Cad line to a 3D molding poly line and applied your Gutter Molding, and then you extend the 3D molding line around the Gable end, seems to work pretty well for me.... ( 2nd Pic)

Capture2.JPG

Capture3.JPG

Mick,

No, didn't use cad views or details.

Just a manually drawn 3D Molding Polyline. 

Pedro,

You have been using the wrong tools.

A 2D Molding polyline will only allow you to draw the line in a single 2D plane, if you want to be able to draw the line in more than a 2D plane, you need to use a  a 3D Molding Polyline.

Be warned that they can sometimes get a bit weird to edit, depending on what view you are in.

It worked for me once last night.  I simply started to draw the line at the bottom left corner of a gable

end and after an endpoint indicator lit up, then I noticed it was going at an odd angle so I pressed

Cntrl and freed it up so that I could direct it up to the apex of the gable peak. Then I think I clicked

at the end and re-clicked and started back down the other side, and finished with another click, I believe. 

Easy as pie.

Stupidly, I backed it up to re-do it this morning so as to include the short horizontal sections. 

Now Build<Trim>3D Molding Polyline does what it has always done for me, create a square picture-frame.

image.thumb.png.9199a0d3da932b271d8451b97f3658b1.png

I have attempted to make this work today at a minimum 500 times. More likely 1000 attempts. Slow, fast, with 

different object snap indicators, from different starting points. Going at different angles, trying to use different 

buttons on the mouse, starting from scratch, rebooting the system, pulling up archived versions. 

Is there a clue about what the difference between my easy drawing last night and problems today (and the 

past 8 weeks) is?  What I can do to make the 3D molding polyline draw out a straight piece instead of a square piece?

I have deselected gutters and deselected trim framing to soffits for all roof plane DBXs, as I had it last night.

It sounds to me that you are describing the difference between a "3D Molding Polyline" and a "3D Molding Line".

I am certainly not an expert with this yet but one thing I have found helpful is to just draw a cad polyline and then convert it to a 3D Molding Polyline which is different that starting with a 3D Molding Polyline.  Maybe some of the source of confusion.