Timber Retaining Walls

Douglas49

I"m trying to draw a timber retaining wall.

I've looked everywhere but can't find any information for this type of wall - i.e. timber posts and horizontal 200x50 rails

I've started off by using the masonry wall type, and then changing the wall type - refer file attached - mainly just changing the materials

I've tried editing the scale of the horizontal timbers (textures and patterns) to 200mm. I changed the texture to 200mm (that held) but the pattern is still at the original scale.

Any thoughts on how I can get the wall showing in 3D as being 200mm wide horizontal rails?

I can then add in the posts in front of the wall.

Secondly, is it possible to set up a default timber retaining wall type ? 

Thanks

timber retaining walls.plan

You may be able to use a wall with 2 layers - one for the walling and one for the posts.

Make the post layer a framing layer.

You can then control the post size and spacing in the Build Framing dbx.

Make the top and bottom plates zero.

One drawback is that you won't see the wall pattern in a vector view because the pattern only displays on the outside of the wall. The rendered views look OK though.

You should be able to change the size of the pattern on the General tab of the Define Material dbx.

Hint: to get a vertical terrain step, use a Terrain Break and snap your Elevation Regions to the Terrain Break. I think this is an easier and more flexible method than using Terrain retaining Walls.

ie, don't use a retaining wall, use a plain vanilla wall.

New Image_129.jpg

OK, this way may be better as you can control the height of the posts and walling independently.

You also get the pattern in vector view on both sides of the walling

Use a single layer wall and make it a framing layer.

Apply a Wall Material Region for the walling - click on the wall to cover the whole wll in one go.

If you move the wall, the Material Region will move with it.

New Image_130.jpg

New Image_132.jpg

Thanks Glenn

Using terrain break works great.

Re the horizontal planking, still having trouble getting the material pattern scale and texture scale to sync

The cross section/ elevation view on the left in the attached pdf file is correct - 5 boards at 200mm each for the 1000mm high retaining wall.

The perspective view on the right is showing 8 boards for the same wall??

I can't figure how how to resolve that one.

Still working on getting the posts positioned.

retaining wall.pdf

timber retaining wall 2.plan

Douglas,

Try this.

I have used a single layer wall for the posts - just a framing layer.

You can specify the post size and spacing in the Wall panel of the build Framing dbx.

When you uncheck "Use Wall Framing Material" you can then specify stud thickness and spacing.

Once you have built the framing, you can alter the size and location of any of the posts.

Before building the framing, I placed a Wall Material Region on the wall.

The Wall Material Region is the walling layer.

Have a look at the Define Material dbx and see how I have set up the material to be the correct size for both render and vector views.

I am not sure that the Terrain Path you have used is the best method - but whatever works for you.

With my wall, you can easily edit the size and location of the posts, adjust the height of the walling, step the wall, set the posts down into the ground....etc.

timber retaining wall 2 GLENNS.plan

New Image_134.jpg

New Image_135.jpg