Problems building bumpout windows

TuckersDad

Hi all,

I'm doing a kitchen reno and trying to add bumpout windows behind the sinks using the box window tool in CA x10. The bumpouts will be the size of a double casement window and will be 6" deep, i.e. like taking a 48"w x 48"h window and pushing it out 6", with the floor of the box raised 36" and the ceiling of the box lowered 18". I'm running into 2 problems:

1. Using the box window tool CA will only let me shrink the depth of the box to 8", even after removing the side windows. Do you know of a way to override this?

2. When I shrink the depth to the minimum allowed and raise the floor and lower the ceiling, the side walls of the box extend down to the floor as seen in the screen shot. This only happens when the depth is shrunk to 8", if it's deeper than that then it works fine.

5b61ce5727a78_ScreenShot2018-08-01at11_01_08AM.thumb.png.0187324ae112acb9fdaa6754ae58caa5.png

When I couldn't figure out how to fix this I tried building the box window manually and ran into a similar problem. I can build a box window that's deeper than I want but when I shrink it down to 6" depth the box window becomes "absorbed" into the main room and the walls extend to the floor. Any suggestions on how to build these bumpouts?

Thanks,

Gary