Lock level height.

PrimeArch

hello everyone.

Im about to ask a basic question which i dont think it its necessary to attach any image of it. 

I created a simple house ( 1st floor ) with 12' ceiling height. But when i create another floor ( 2nd floor ) with another custom ceiling height... it push down my 1st floor ceiling. 
I figured out the way to set my default ceiling height, but it only for the 1st floor. Is there any way for me to set up and lock ( default ) the height for next floor ( 2nd floor ). ? 

Thanks

CA X10 Trial Version

Hi:  sorry there is no way to lock the settings

the short answer is too learn how to control the settings

the long answer is that I find them confusing too and can't offer any real help

others will chime in soon and they understand these settings better

I have advocated for over a decade that we have the ability to "lock" a room, an area, a floor so that Chief can't change it without permission

I really hate it when I have things set the way I want and then Chief changes them without warning

due to the "next click" - even if its user error I would still like to be warned and give my permission for Chief to proceed

Lew

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, lbuttery said:

Hi:  sorry there is no way to lock the settings

the short answer is too learn how to control the settings

Lew

Thanks Mr Lew

Yeah, i found it will be very useful when you can lock any object or distance. I hope they will offer those option on the next update. :)

1 hour ago, lbuttery said:

I really hate it when I have things set the way I want and then Chief changes them without warning

due to the "next click" - even if its user error I would still like to be warned and give my permission for Chief to proceed

Yeah. This what always happened to me. When Im done with the 1st floor, i create upper floor then start working on it then. After everything seems ok on the 2nd floor, I thought yeah Im 'done'.. So i moved down to 'double check' then i noticed why my ceiling look so low and I need to re-adjust every room height.. and i need to re-adjust my staircase too.  

1 hour ago, solver said:

For a simple structure, set first floor defaults, draw first floor.

Create a 2nd floor. The structure dialog that shows when you create a new floor sets your 2nd floor defaults. You may also change the Ceiling Below value in this dialog which changes the defaults for the floor below the new floor

Thanks Mr Solver

Yeah, I got my safe way to work on multiple level is to create a small box room ( doesn't matter what size, in my case i make it about 4'x4' ) then create 2nd and 3rd floor, then cross section. I will play with the setting till those 3 level at the height that i want. Now I can build wall at any level I want without worry about the level's height. Is this method recommended?

11 hours ago, PrimeArch said:

hello everyone.

Im about to ask a basic question which i dont think it its necessary to attach any image of it. 

I created a simple house ( 1st floor ) with 12' ceiling height. But when i create another floor ( 2nd floor ) with another custom ceiling height... it push down my 1st floor ceiling. 
I figured out the way to set my default ceiling height, but it only for the 1st floor. Is there any way for me to set up and lock ( default ) the height for next floor ( 2nd floor ). ? 

Thanks

CA X10 Trial Version

You will notice that when you create your second floor that the settings it is asking for in the structure dbx, before you complete that second floor specification, are the defaults for the second floor. It says Floor 2 Defaults in the structure tab. You will also see a space to input 'ceiling below'. This value should not change with any kind of custom ceiling height for floor 2.

Or you can go to defaults>current floor and set your heights there for the second floor.

I just tried it now and had floor heights jumping all over the place. It's part and parcel of using Chief and its Structure dbx which is IMO the single worst piece of software interface I have ever used. You just have to mess around until the floor looks the way you'd like them to. Takes time to understand the (poorly implemented) paradigm. Good luck.

• Upvote 1

On 20/07/2018 at 2:46 AM, HumbleChief said:

You will notice that when you create your second floor that the settings it is asking for in the structure dbx, before you complete that second floor specification, are the defaults for the second floor. It says Floor 2 Defaults in the structure tab. You will also see a space to input 'ceiling below'. This value should not change with any kind of custom ceiling height for floor 2.

Or you can go to defaults>current floor and set your heights there for the second floor.

I just tried it now and had floor heights jumping all over the place. It's part and parcel of using Chief and its Structure dbx which is IMO the single worst piece of software interface I have ever used. You just have to mess around until the floor looks the way you'd like them to. Takes time to understand the (poorly implemented) paradigm. Good luck.

Thanks HumbleChief.

I tried your instructions. I still cannot find away way to set my custom level height to be default . I navigated to default tools

( wrench icon > floor & rooms > current floor ).. 

I managed to set all my 3 level at the height that i wanted and it has been set as 'default' rite? NO!!.. it just a day dream. 

I switched to 'All On Set' layer.. delete everything ( only walls ) and save as a template.  

Open New plan ( Ctrl+N ),,

I start create a single room ( level 1) - then check the height ( Finished Ceiling F ) - yes.. the height was perfect at 120".

Then I make upper level ( 2nd Floor ) - then check the height ( Finished Ceiling F ) - NO!! this not the height i just set before ( 120" ) .. it back to 84 5/8" ( CA default ). 

--- i already set for level 1-3 to be 120" for finished ceiling F in the 'current floor' setting.. now why it back to 84 5/8"?? it should be 120" for 'F' on any level 1-3.---

what kinda 'default setting' you guys talking about.. whether i made a mistakes.. or maybe because im using trial version so it wont work properly as pro version.

2 hours ago, PrimeArch said:

Thanks HumbleChief.

I tried your instructions. I still cannot find away way to set my custom level height to be default . I navigated to default tools

( wrench icon > floor & rooms > current floor ).. 

I managed to set all my 3 level at the height that i wanted and it has been set as 'default' rite? NO!!.. it just a day dream. 

I switched to 'All On Set' layer.. delete everything ( only walls ) and save as a template.  

Open New plan ( Ctrl+N ),,

I start create a single room ( level 1) - then check the height ( Finished Ceiling F ) - yes.. the height was perfect at 120".

Then I make upper level ( 2nd Floor ) - then check the height ( Finished Ceiling F ) - NO!! this not the height i just set before ( 120" ) .. it back to 84 5/8" ( CA default ). 

--- i already set for level 1-3 to be 120" for finished ceiling F in the 'current floor' setting.. now why it back to 84 5/8"?? it should be 120" for 'F' on any level 1-3.---

what kinda 'default setting' you guys talking about.. whether i made a mistakes.. or maybe because im using trial version so it wont work properly as pro version.

when you save as a Template are you then also changing the Preference Setting for the Template for New Plans to Open that new Template?  otherwise you would still be Using the default Template (Residental Template.plan) if using the New Plan Button.

M.

Capture2.thumb.jpg.e100607243fb814660928cd816da3894.jpg

53 minutes ago, Kbird1 said:

when you save as a Template are you then also changing the Preference Setting for the Template for New Plans to Open that new Template?  otherwise you would still be Using the default Template (Residental Template.plan) if using the New Plan Button.

Thanks Kbird1.

I just checked my preferences, my saved template is the default one.

5 minutes ago, PrimeArch said:

Thanks Kbird1.

I just checked my preferences, my saved template is the default one.

The easy way is to open YOUR template via the Open plan button and then do a SAVE As Template , it should also ask if you want YOUR Template to now be the Default Template for New Plans and it will update the Preferences too for you.

Mick.

6 minutes ago, solver said:

Because you are using the trial, you may not be able to save a new template.

Good point , I am not sure what the current limitations are for the Trial Version.

I don't remember having these Issues though either....

• 1 month later...

The defaults per floor works ok, but it breaks down when you have multiple /split floor levels on the one floor, or multiple buildings. Sometimes CA changes things due to its auto-basements/footings with, e.g. a garage adjoined to a house. It comes down to CA trying to automate things. That's fine, and helpful on simple builds. But on more complex builds, especially legacy, the automatic altering of room heights can drive me completely nuts. It just needs between 5 minutes and several hours of messing around with room structure dbx's, wall definitions/intersections, footings, etc. All the while keeping multiple sections and transparent 3D views open to see what effect a change in one room might unexpectedly - and with no warning - have on another room.

Probably my number 1 problem with CA. That and spurious lines when sending elevations to layout - another feature of over-automation and over-complication of CA trying to make walls connect in a way it finds sensible but which often bears no relation to real life. I think a lot of this comes about form a mindset that buildings are all timber framed and covered in sheet rock (few are in the UK) - maybe not but that's the way it comes across.

Andy: 

this is why I have been advocating for various locks for rooms/walls/floors/areas for over a decade

with a lock on Chief should NOT be able to make changes without issuing a warning

then getting an ok to proceed

the locks feature should be a preference item for those who don't need/want it 

Lew