Hmm, Odd Beginner Issue. My Plan Disappeared?

Nicinus

I'm a bit embarrassed to say but I accidentally closed my plan view and now I can't seem to get it back? :) My layout part is still in the project browser but the plan part is gone, although the 3D view and elevations are still there so it doesn't seem as if I close it. I am now worried to open the plan again as I haven't saved my changes. 

In the end I did but I think I lost some of my changes. I'm a bit puzzled because normally it asks me if I want to save when I close the last tab of the project. I think this has to considered a bug if there is no way of open a floor plan view again if they are closed with the project still being active.

If you have an elevation or 3D view open you still have the project file open. Close all of them and the last one you close should trigger the message to save.

First go to one of you open windows and save. Then close all the open windows.

Or you can simply browse to the file and open it again.

A small secret in Chief is that you can get multiple floor plans open at the same time by opening the same file multiple times. This doesn't create a copy of the plan just another view to work in. Useful for certain operations.

A small secret in Chief is that you can get multiple floor plans open at the same time by opening the same file multiple times. This doesn't create a copy of the plan just another view to work in. Useful for certain operations.

This is very true,  however you can utilize ONLY one layer/anno set at a time.

A big plus would be if I could have the first floor plan open in two different windows with one view utilizing the FLOOR PLAN LAYER SET whilst the other view was using the FRAMING PLAN LAYER SET.

The way it is set up now,  and the only way it is really useful is if I have a SECOND FLOOR VIEW open and a FIRST FLOOR VIEW open side by side.  I suppose this can be useful,  but I  never use it.

But I do find myself wanting the option of having two floor plan views open side by side,  one utilizing the FLOOR PLAN LAYER SET and the other view utilizing the FRAMING LAYER SET, along with the appropriate ANNO SETS for each view.

OMG! Why didn't I ever try this? I've always wished to be able to "duplicate" a tabbed window (like in a web browser) so I can work on two floors of the same plan at the same time.

Okay, I just tried this, and it's awesome! I can even have a different anno/layerset active for my two different plans!

Shame on you for keeping this a secret, Doug. This is an unbelievable productivity boost! I can't stop using exclamation marks!

......  I can even have a different anno/layerset active for my two different plans!........

I do not think so.  Try it again.  If you can please let me know,  because as of now,  I can only have one layer/anno set for each plan.

This is very true,  however you can utilize ONLY one layer/anno set at a time.

Rats. Scott, you're mostly right. However, I've discovered that you can view two different plan anno/layersets at the same time if you cylce through the windows in the correct order. Right now I've got the same plan opened twice, and in one window I'm VIEWING my 1/4" Finish Plan Anno/Layerset, and in my other window I'm WORKING IN my 1/4" Demo Plan Anno/Layerset. Both windows indicate the Demo Plan Anno/Layerset, and as soon as I click on the window with the Finish Plan, it reverts to the Demo Plan, but at least it allows me to use one window as a reference for the other. Limited in usefulness, I admit, but interesting.

One thing about the new tabbed setup for when multiple windows are open is that I have "many times" clicked on the tab to look at (go back to) the plan view and accidentally clicked on the "X" on the tab to close the plan.  Thankfully, Chief asks me if I want to save the plan 1st.  At this point in time I am leaning toward "wishing" that we only have the option of closing the plan by clicking the X in the right hand corner of the screen when the view is open, not on the tab.  However, I often click on the X's on the tabs to close views (sections/3D views) as well.  I am sort of torn between what I think is best.  For now, I am trying to remember to be careful where I click on the tabs when swapping views.

Not sure if this has anything to do with your problem but I thought I would mention it just in case you had a severe case of clickitis and cruised on by a dbx without reading it (which I have been known to be guilty of on many ocasions. 

• 4 weeks later...

I had my floor plan disappear, but I could see it in a 3D view. I was puzzled and carefully looked for and read this thread for clues. Then I noticed I was on floor "A". Duh. I don't remember changing to A before closing the file, but then again it is Monday morning.