Select material from plan quit working

rcmcdougle

When I open an object [Exterior Door] -> click on Materials -> select item to change material [Exterior Color] -> click Select Material -> the Select Material browser opens with Library Materials active. When I click on Plan Materials, I cannot select any material in the plan. Use Default is highlighted but I cannot scroll the list with the arrow keys or any other way. The same with Material defaults. Library Materials works as expected but VERY slowly.

I noticed this behavior when I was working on my laptop then checked for updates and now Chief is updated to ver 20.3.0.54x64. No change in behavior... it is still failing.

Looks to me like you might need to make sure Chief is using the correct data folders for starters.  More specifically regarding the material problem though...

Try to Backup Entire Plan and post that zipped file.  My suspicion?  That you're using the Save As method and your materials have built up to the point where Chief is having a hard time dealing with all of them.  Just a wild guess though.

I have checked all the data folders and they appear correct. What is odd is that it is trying to write to the non-existant X8 folder. 

The material issue is not plan related. It happens as well when I start a new plan using the default profile that ships with Chief. 4 walls + 1 door -> Select door and try to change the exterior material color or any other material -> Library Materials function <> Plan Materials do not.

If I try to edit the plan materials I can but then when I accept the change and close the dialog Chief freezes. There is no cursor in the drawing field and none of the toolbar buttons respond. I can close the program by clicking the X window button and it asks if I want to save.

This is making me crazy. I've never seen such problems in Chief.

Thanks Dermot - Rebooting did not help but calling tech support revealed that it was a video driver issue. I updated the nVidia driver to the most current and all is well again. This is on my SurfaceBook laptop.