Curved Monitor

RobUSMC

I have an Asus ROG 34" ultra wide curved monitor on my windows machine.  It's a bit too wide, or maybe I need a deeper desk or wall mount because with my lame-ass progressive glasses I end up having to turn my head a lot when things are full screen.

I've tried lots of sizes from 3 x 27" to a 43" and also several curved screens. I've come to the conclusion that in addition to the type of use, a lot depends on your vision and especially those of us that are old enough to be presbyopic.

As commented above, progressive glasses are not great for screen use and I found the 43" hard work looking around all corners as the focal distance required changes a fair bit. I wear multifocal contact lenses some days and and even though they don't require moving of the head like progressive glasses they still require the brain to adjust which is tiresome even though it happens in a fraction of a second.

In comparison using 3 x 27" to 30" screens is much easier for me if the screens are set in an arc as the distance is more consistent.  Ideally I would like a very wide, say 50" but reasonable height curved screen but there aren't any.

I also use 3 screens set on an angle-17 laptop, 27 2k primary, 24" 1920 x 1200 (about the same height as the 27"). Partly is suits how I work, I can move a window from one to another with a single click or a keyboard.  I have a 42" I use in client meetings but not suited to me day to day.

I wear trifoacals, the second widest size cut. I tried progressives back when I was in the shop, ditched them in a week, couldn't see both my left hand and the fence on the table saw. Just went through new glasses this year and asked about the improvements to progressives, after a bit of discussion ended up with the trifocal. I still have to turn to see the side screens full on but can tell what window is on tip in my peripheral, better on the right than the left though and likely to get worse.

This may be a bit off topic, but still worth a mention.

I can highly recommend intraocular lens implants.

20/20 vision without glasses (for life).

I had mine done a few years back and I believe Joe had his done not long ago. 

9 minutes ago, glennw said:

I can highly recommend intraocular lens implants.

I have a different experience: 

I had to have intraocular lens implants due to other eye surgery and its not been a great experience. I avoided multifocal/trifocal/extended depth of focus IOLs due to the loss contrast which is inevitable (same with multifocal contact lenses) and also to reduce the risk of glare and visual effects at night.   

Sadly, although I have excellent daytime vision when using my glasses or contacts (sharper than I can ever remember) the night time effects are annoying with lots of star bursts and halos around light sources.  IOLs can lead to subsequent posterior capsular opacification (sometimes known as secondary cataract) which needs lasering and that can leave debris floating in the vitreous of the eye which is annoying and also more visual effects due to lens pitting.

If someone has cataracts or a difficult to correct prescription then there's no choice, but if you check out the two major forums for eye conditions you'll find problems are common.  I think its risky unless needed although for some it gives excellent results with mutifocal/extended depth of field IOLs.

It would seem I have a very stubborn brain (no surprise, my husband says).  It refuses to work with progressive glasses and I am not ready to try implants.  Switching to dedicated computer glasses solved all my eye strain issues and 3 monitors of various sizes work without any issues.

3 hours ago, Smn842 said:

for some it gives excellent results with mutifocal/extended depth of field IOLs.

It worked great for me. 

• I needed lasik surgery to eliminate cataracts so I just got the smart lenses with 2 corrections for close up vision.  Both eyes are corrected for distance and the left eye is corrected for computer monitor (30-36") and the right eye is corrected for reading (12-15").
  • Initially I had a little problem with night time driving - tail-lights and signal lights had halos but over time my brain has learned to ignore that effect.

• 1 month later...

I avoided all the surgeries until my "floaters" got so bad that the (3)27" bright white Samsung LCD's were driving me crazy wiping my eyes constantly to try and get rid of something that was not on my eyeball but inside.  The bright white screens made it so bad I had to tilt my head and shift it constantly to view around the floating halo inside my eyeball.  My main eye doctor just said you have to learn to live with it.  I tried for two years, but this floater was almost dead center in my right eye. Imagine swatting at flies in front of your computer monitor all day long!

I did not give up and finally found the ONE local doctor that was doing the new YAG laser treatment for floaters.  I took 3 visits and about 5000 laser zaps, but he finally got rid of 90% of the Floater giving me grief!

Now I want to get a 60" 4k curved monitor, and work from about 4' away.  I saw this setup at my local granite cutting company and ended up with Monitor envy!

• 10 months later...

Rob,

I have the Zeiss multifocal lens - which I think are really tri-focal.

I don't know what Standard, Mono or lifestyle are.

I have had these for 2 or 3 years.

No loss of contrast or any other problems apart from halos which I now don't even notice.

Update:

i got new glasses designed for focus at arms length.  

And, a new more curved Dell 34” monitor......love it!

Dell has some software that makes different screen windows so I can have different windows tiled in a snap.

Your eye doc can prescribe "computer" lenses. Maybe it's been discussed (I haven't read all the posts). I get my scrips from Costco Optical and what a difference these lenses make.

As far as curved, I had a couple that I loved because the far fields / near fields were so much closer to my eyes (I use dual 32" monitors). But at the time 4K were pricey. Now I see they're around $450. Next pair will be curved. 4K resolution is fantastic.

I have three separate monitors now. With the curved wide screen can you get the same viewing area as three 27 ". Can you divide the screen into thirds or is it just one big single monitor screen.  Now I am seeing these 42 and 48" curved wide screens

My 34" works great but I like your "bigger in Texas" attitude.  I might be trying a second curved 34".

The dell software makes a single monitor act like a multi-monitor with ZERO bezels.  See attached screen capture.

DELL CURVED MONITOR.png

2019-07-24 10_01_42-Amazon.com_ Dell U3417W FR3PK 34-Inch Screen Led-Lit Monitor_ Computers & Access.png

Edited by para-CAD
added Amazon screenshot

I have cataract surgery Tuesday in the left eye then the right eye in a month.  I will probably hold off on any monitor until after surgery... But dang that 49" curved monitor is sweet.  Just wonder if I1277220520_TripleMonitor.thumb.JPG.b40a905a889b4e9f2b22c48bc9ad61fb.JPG will feel as I'm loosing usable monitor real estate going away from three 27" monitors

• Upvote 1