Difficulty importing .skp files

Thomble

Disclaimer: I'm a neophyte at 3D modeling in general.

I'm trying to import into CA some basecap molding profiles that I found on 3D Warehouse into a plan that I'm working on as a trial of CA x10.

The profiles I'm working with in this situation come as a large number of moldings in one single Sketchup file. To isolate a single profile out of the larger group in Sketchup, I select the individual profile, right-click to get a menu, then select Make Component. That converts the single profile from what Sketchup calls an "entity" into a "component." This is a necessary step because entities can't be saved individually in Sketchup, while components can. Once I use Make Component on the profile, I can save it as a single item into another Sketchup document. 

Now I'm ready to import the single molding profile that I saved into the CA User Catalog. When I open CA and use File>Import>Import 3D Symbol, I select the file I saved, hit ok, and get the Import 3D Symbol dialogue box, and hit OK again. I get a "Could not read in an assigned material" error, which I take to be harmless, based on some previous (successful) experience working with 3D furniture pieces from 3D Warehouse. 

Here's the bind: when the profile loads into my Library Browser>User Catalog, it is skewed badly. The first pic I've attached is of the file open in Sketchup. 5b3680056a0e6_BasecapsinSU.thumb.png.f4cf2fdf00da82230e16b030d7a7398f.png The middle profile is the one I've made into a component and then used "Saved As" to separate it from its brethren. Here is the file where I've saved it as a single profile:5b36824524f9b_ScreenHunter40.thumb.png.0d6a78479043a8bb69698c8194537a5a.png When I load it into the CA User Catalog, it appears like this:  5b36803ab2dfd_BasecapImport.thumb.png.05c42900179641251e9fb8f79aaca200.png

Can someone tell me what I'm doing wrong, and explain how to fix it? I've searched for over an hour and haven't found any reference to this happening. I'm missing something obvious, I suspect, but I have no idea what it is. 

Thanks in advance!

Edited by Thomble
Add'tl info, spelling error

That shouldn't slow down your computer, I know some 3d moldings can slow it down. Aren't there some moldings like that in Chief for you to use. I never use 3d moldings, I use a molding p-line for those type of things or just add crowns and chair rails from the room DBX.

Thanks for the reply. My computer isn't slowed at all. It's pretty much latest gen technology. Are you saying that the skewing of the profile in my User Catalog is related to computer speed, somehow? I was suspecting that it had more to do with some manipulation of the z-axis that I was missing (and don't have any idea how to do). 

Learn to draw molding profiles within Chief, and see if that helps, it's a pretty easy process. There are video's on Chief's website. Remember 3d moldings can sometimes cause slowdown.. Try not to import moldings like that when they are so easy to create in Chief and Chief already has lots of moldings like that, then you don't have to worry about  too many faces..

25 minutes ago, Thomble said:

Can someone tell me what I'm doing wrong, and explain how to fix it?

Molding profiles in Chief are 2D they don't become 3D until you use them with one of the molding/trim tools. Chief can use "molding symbols" which are 3D objects but that doesn't look like what you are after. There are much simpler ways to get what you want-

• There are a very large number of molding profiles available in manufacturer catalogs once you have the program (the one you are showing will be in several cabinet brands and likely a couple of molding catalogs)
  • Import a 2D dwg. (lots of molding suppliers have them on the web) It will import into a CAD detail (one reason to get Premier). Once imported yo have to click each line near a corner till you see the snap indicater-don't have to move it. Go around to each line and do that until it suddenly gets a fill-that means it is now a closed polyline. Add to library.
  • select an existing molding profile, right click and "insert into plan" then modify it- flip, rotate, resize, mirror, add points and curves, change curves to straight... When done-"add to library"
  • start from scratch with polylines or just lines and learn how to work with that part of the program (2D CAD)
  • import an image or pdf and trace over it-then add to library (this one is tricky to get scale correct) (least favorite method)

Thanks again for the replies, guys. I'm deep in the learning phase, which for me sometimes equates to some "reinvention of the wheel" exercises (or a lot of them). Drawzilla, I haven't gotten to the point that I'm drawing in CA, but will eventually get there. Because of a lot of familiarity with 3D Warehouse (Sketchup), I tend to use it as a go-to for prefabbed bits and pieces. What happened here is that I needed a basecap, saw some on 3D Warehouse, and figured I'd press them into use. 

For me, figuring out why something won't work usually teaches me more than giving up and admitting that there are easier ways of doing things. However, this time, I'll admit defeat and take your very constructive suggestions. 

MarkMc, importing as a pdf... I tried that. I know exactly why it's your least favorite. The thing imported in nearly as big as the entire floorplan. 

Thanks again!

Thanks for the great video, Alaskan_Son! It drilled down to my exact question about what was going on, and was a pretty great intro to drawing in the CAD module as well. I really appreciate you taking the time to explain it so thoroughly.