Slab Foundation Color Detail

TonyMM

Hey all,

I'm having trouble figuring out how to add some color detail into the footings of my slab foundation similar to how you can add color to a stem wall. 

Is it even possible? The foundation plan is too minimal for my liking. Thanks for the help. 

CA X10

Screen Shot 2018-06-27 at 6.15.14 PM.png

Yes that is a little bland.  You could manually add a colored fill pattern by drawing a polyline solid with a couple of polyline solid holes and then convert to plain polyline when you are done.

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, Chopsaw said:

Yes that is a little bland.  You could manually add a colored fill pattern by drawing a polyline solid with a couple of polyline solid holes and then convert to plain polyline when you are done.

Do you think it would be best to do this in Layout or Plan?

You could likely do it in plan or layout but plan sounds like the best option to me.

Could not make the wall hatch tool work for footings or mono slab Scott is there a trick to that ?

Wha5 is up wi5h your k3yboard ?

I could also suggest that there are too many dimensions here. For example, dimensions between footings at the interior slab are odd, as they may cause the footing dimension to be off.  (Usually the footing width is the critical dimension.) If you were to only use critical dimensions -- mostly on the outside of the slab -- the drawing would be a lot cleaner.

Just a side note after looking at your plan. You might want to check with local codes and a local engineer. That foundation wouldn't pass here in Houston. The spans for the interior beams to the perimeter grade beams are too far apart. If the interior beams stop in the middle of the slab as shown, you might need to have piers. I've never done or seen interior beams stop like that but I know things are different from place to place. I don't know soil conditions or slab thickness.

20 minutes ago, tommy1 said:

Just a side note after looking at your plan. You might want to check with local codes and a local engineer. That foundation wouldn't pass here in Houston. The spans for the interior beams to the perimeter grade beams are too far apart. If the interior beams stop in the middle of the slab as shown, you might need to have piers. I've never done or seen interior beams stop like that but I know things are different from place to place. I don't know soil conditions or slab thickness.

Pretty sure those are just footings on the mono slab and they can go wherever needed, at least here in CA, when pouring a mono slab with footing. Also pretty sure the question is about coloring that slab not its structural integrity, but I could be missing something...

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, HumbleChief said:

Pretty sure those are just footings on the mono slab and they can go wherever needed, at least here in CA, when pouring a mono slab with footing. Also pretty sure the question is about coloring that slab not its structural integrity, but I could be missing something...

Yes, this was about color not structure integrity. Just a comment I was making. I have a meeting with the engineer tomorrow and will ask if this is acceptable for stopping an interior beam in the middle of a slab in Houston. Just never seen it here.

4 minutes ago, tommy1 said:

Yes, this was about color not structure integrity. Just a comment I was making. I have a meeting with the engineer tomorrow and will ask if this is acceptable for stopping an interior beam in the middle of a slab in Houston. Just never seen it here.

Curious, do you ever color or texture your slab/footings? I don't, and to be honest never knew one could...

12 hours ago, Chopsaw said:

You could likely do it in plan or layout but plan sounds like the best option to me.

Could not make the wall hatch tool work for footings or mono slab Scott is there a trick to that ?

Wha5 is up wi5h your k3yboard ?

chop,  I was guessing it was possible,  I could not make it work...

• Upvote 1

Thanks everyone. To note, its a slab foundation. Stem walls shade quite easily in CA. The questions lies around adding color to the footings of the slab foundation. I'll try the techniques given above. Thanks for the input. 

14 hours ago, Richard_Morrison said:

I could also suggest that there are too many dimensions here. For example, dimensions between footings at the interior slab are odd, as they may cause the footing dimension to be off.  (Usually the footing width is the critical dimension.) If you were to only use critical dimensions -- mostly on the outside of the slab -- the drawing would be a lot cleaner.

I agree, our Planning Director here in Sonoma seems to be trying to meet a quota of added nonsense each year. 

3 hours ago, tommy1 said:

The interior footings were automatic due to carrying load bearing walls. And yes, this plan was sent off yesterday to structural. Soil conditions are perfect for growing grapes! Haha. 

7 hours ago, Alaskan_Son said:

You can get the walls for mono slabs to display by setting the wall(s) to use a different Pour Number than the room they define.  The wall fills only disappear if the pour numbers match. 

Michael,

That works and looks OK in plan view, but what it really does is separate the footing from the slab, ie, it is no longer a mono slab, but rather a slab sitting on a footing.

So that in section view and auto detail, etc, you get a separate footing independent of the slab. 

Before auto detail: (same pour on left, different pours on right)

New Image_120.jpg

After auto detail:

New Image_121.jpg

• Upvote 1

On 6/28/2018 at 3:21 PM, glennw said:

Michael,

That works and looks OK in plan view, but what it really does is separate the footing from the slab, ie, it is no longer a mono slab, but rather a slab sitting on a footing.

So that in section view and auto detail, etc, you get a separate footing independent of the slab. 

Before auto detail: (same pour on left, different pours on right)

New Image_120.jpg

After auto detail:

New Image_121.jpg

Ya.  Pick yer poison I suppose.  Either add polylines and manipulate as necessary with any changes to plan or Auto Detail and polyline union.  The latter seems a little more efficient to me for many

situations though.  

• 2 months later...

Just to close this topic;

After much tinkering, I realized that the scale of the concrete fill was too large and once I reduced the scale it was able to show. 

Suprisingly simple.......