Modular Design

chiefmodify

I work with a Ready to Move home builder and often have to move the home in 2 or three peices.

This also means at times, having a front 2 story gable wall (window raked a frame) that I need to plan support for moves as it will be separated out to two pieces.  So in the attached pic, I have to plan to cut the wall horizontally between the windows sets.  Meaning I need to frame the lower part of the windows with a 12" LVL ...

Has anyone good ways of doing this, or tutorials ect?  

house.jpg

Not sure I even understand the question.  What do you need help with?  The design itself (what beam sizes to use, what types of temporary supports to use, etc.)?  Modeling (How to actually separate the model into 2 pieces)?  Drafting (how to put it on paper)?  Annotating?  Planning?  A little more information might help us help you.

mmm...  Not the actual structure.

How do I place that structure into the model built in Chief?

I know the house will be built in two, top and bottom.  Because the large open to below room in front, it will required a 12" LVL as moving support that must be built into the framing.

And then yes proper annotation within the plan, so that the plans actually follow the build so to speak.

What have you been doing to date?  Or have you not actually drawn up these situations at all before?  Also, it would really help if you were to post the plan so people could look at what you've done and show you quick examples of how you might proceed without having to model something from scratch themselves. 

My "guess" as far as modeling goes MIGHT be to create each module in a separate plan

then save each section as a symbol in the library

then have a Master Moving plan that places the sections as they would need to be moved

then have a Master Build Plan that places the sections as they would need to be built

not saying this is THE way to do it - but maybe A way ?

Lew

Lew,

I think that is not a very practical way to do it.

A couple of ways come to mind immediately.

You could use a pony wall to divide the wall at a height between the windows and/or use an open below room inside to break the wall height....

Posting the plan may just help.