Error message when attempting print preview (HP DesignJet T520)

HeartwoodRes

Hey ChiefTalk,

I'm getting an error message when attempting a layout print preview, instructing me to update the drivers on my printer. However, after verifying that all drivers are up to date, the "DPI = 0" error message still persists. Has anyone received this error message before? If not, is there another workaround I can employ here to get this printed? No matter what parameters I change on the Print Preview page or Drawing Sheet Setup page, the message persists.

p.s. Our T520 is in proper working condition and prints full ARCH D size plans from our main computer, but this is the first attempt to use it from this computer.

Thanks for your time everyone.

error screenshot.png

I've been fiddling with my options since posting and I discovered the print to PDF that you're referring to, but I'd still like to address that error message. Converting to a PDF and then printing elsewhere does not seem like the ideal long-term solution.

You can print to PDF and then print from your own printer.You don't have to send it out ,plus you still have the advantages Lewis Mentioned.

I have an HP-500 and started getting error messages after an update a couple years ago and started using PDFs and then sending those to my HP. No errors and great prints from my machine.I wouldn't do it any other way now.

Have a great week,Ken

• Like 1

Hello,

Try troubleshooting the issue.

1. Delete the printer from your system (device manager) and printers

2. download and install the printer software from the manufacturer's website (not just the driver)

3. restart both the printer and the computer

4. install the printer now

5. Configure your printing preferences. (make sure "roll" is selected)

(you can also try printing smaller sheets first, the printer has a tray on the back right to accept common media sizes)

And lastly, as everyone else, printing to pdf, and reviewing in AutoDesk Design Review is the best option, it will save you both ink and paper.

Printing from .pdf to your printer is preferred, make sure "bitmap" is enabled in the preferences or the printer will give you error messages.

Good luck.

A co-worker had all manner of printing issues, including this "0 DPI" error message in setting up his new laptop a few weeks ago.  In his case, it was a DesignJet 500, not a T520 though.

In his case, it turned out to be a Windows permissions setting.  He'd changed his temporary folder to a folder on his "D" drive from the default Windows one.  Apparently Windows 10 had an issue with this; I ended up just forcing unrestricted permission on the new temporary folder, and it seemed to fix the print issues for him.

I have a T520 here, and though I seem to have annoying landscape/portrait orientation issues with it & Chief, haven't had the 0 dpi problem.

Roland

• 2 years later...

My HP 500 is also not working since updating Windows 10pro. Updating not installing. Worked fine till I updated the version of Win 10 Pro. It was required to run other software being used. Trust  me when I tell you I’ve tried everything to get it to print (PDF’s) to no avail.  I build computers so it’s not a lack of experience.

16 hours ago, DougDM said:

My HP 500 is also not working since updating Windows 10pro. Updating not installing. Worked fine till I updated the version of Win 10 Pro. It was required to run other software being used. Trust  me when I tell you I’ve tried everything to get it to print (PDF’s) to no avail.  I build computers so it’s not a lack of experience.

There is a bug in Windows 10 2004 causing Printer Issues , personally my computer doesn't have W10-2004 yet though , BUT I thought Microsoft had fixed it? perhaps do some Googling if you are fully upto date with Win10 Updates.

eg: https://www.windowslatest.com/2020/06/19/windows-10-kb4567523-for-version-2004/

I'm on version 1909 and lost use of my nextworked HP110.  I had to download from this link:  https://www.windowslatest.com/2020/06/17/windows-10-june-update-printing-issue-hotfix/  The update worked for my desktop and laptop. 

Thanks for the link Mick; it got me headed in the right direction.  There obviously was an incremental update that broke the print spooler for networked printers.

• 3 weeks later...

Thank all, tried everything suggested here to no avail. All my other printers/plotters are working just fine. Picked up a new HP T530 (T520 are no longer available) and it's working just fine.