Dimensions for Electrical

JKraft

I'm in my electrical layer set.  I want Chief to auto dimension my plugs, switches, and fixtures.  I checked "dimensions electrical" in layers, thinking the electrical dimensions would appear on that layer.  Of coarse not.  Couldn't be that easy.  Any advice on how to get chief to dimension electrical, only on electrical layer?

Just to toss the question out there before your electrical contractor does...but...when Chief dimensions all those outlets, switches, etc...are you going back in and ensure all the framing members align with those dims? As an example, here is a plan I am working on that I placed some auto outlets in and then turned on the wall framing. There are multiple outlets that are between 2 studs. Sometimes too much information is just that, too much information.

Screenshot 2018-06-21 14.51.34.png

I'm an electrical contractor.  I use CA to design the electrical layout.  I've never dimensioned the electrical.  Plumbing, HVAC, and framing change the placement your best layouts.

The symbols show the desired location but the customer and I know it will change on some items.  

The comments made above by Joey, Shane, and Greg are probably correct in a very general sense when it comes to doing standard run of the mill CDs, but it really depends on what exactly your goal is.  I personally use Chief all the time to model real world conditions including exact framing member locations and very precise junction box locations.  A lot of times...especially in our higher end kitchens and bathrooms, the placement of those electrical objects is absolutely crucial and needs to be properly dimensioned one way or another..