Custom Wall Labels & LEGEND

Joe_Carrick

After repeated efforts to get CA to provide meaningful automatic labels to Walls in Elevation Views (both Interior & Exterior) based on the layers that make up the wall type - or to provide Ruby accessible attribute that could be used - I decided to set up a system that I could utilize to accomplish that goal.

The first thing I did was to give my Wall Types names that included descriptions of the layers making up the wall.  These were separated by commas so I could retrieve and parse the name.  Examples:

• 1" Stucco, Housewrap, 1/2" Plywd, 2x6 Studs, 5/8" Drywall
  • 5/8" Drywall, 2x4 Studs, 5/8" Drywall
  • 5/8" Drywall, 2x4 Studs

Those are just a few of my Wall Types.  On a typical project I may have up to 10 or more.

Then I created a macro that determines what Layer Set is in use and creates an appropriate Label for the Wall:

• Exterior Elevations -> a list of the Exterior Wall Layers "down" to the Main Layer.
  • Interior Elevations -> a list of the Interior Wall Layers "up" to the Main Layer.
  • Plan Views -> Wall # (includes the Floor #.Wall #)

Subsequently I decided that I would need a "Wall Legend" and it would need to have a Graphic, a List of all the Wall Layers, the total Thickness, and the Insulation R-Value

To accomplish this I created specifically named "Layer Set Layers" and a special "Layer Set" named "Wall Legend" - more about that later.

• Walls, Exterior
  • Walls, Exterior R-13
  • Walls, Exterior R-19
  • Walls, Exterior R-21
  • Walls, Interior

Once I had all that in place I added a "zero height Floor" within my Plan  (between the top floor and the attic) & set the Layer Set to "Wall Legend".  This Floor is reserved specifically to contain only the Wall Legend.  That way, I can display Walls and their special Labels without interfering with the Wall Labels in Plan, & Elevation.  A special Macro creates the Label for each 4' length of wall in the Legend.  I set that Label to be offset to the right of the graphic.  All I have to do is create each Wall Type and set it to the correct Layer.

Here's a pic of my Wall Legend:

Wall Legend.JPG

Wall Legend - enlarged.JPG

• Upvote 3

I have been labeling my wall types based on the wall type definition, then using specify label and adding “%wall-type%” to the auto label under “specify label” button.

It would be nice if chief could use the “material” column in the wall type wall layers to set up some kind of auto label function.

4 hours ago, parkwest said:

It would be nice if chief could use the “material” column in the wall type wall layers to set up some kind of auto label function.

Exactly !!!

I've been asking for an attribute with the material and thickness of each layer as well as an identification of which layer was the main layer for quite some time.  Essentially, that's what I simulated with my Wall Type naming convention.  But it would be much better if CA made that information available as attribute(s).  In addition we need the Insulation R value.

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...