hOE TO pLACE A FLOOD LIGHT OR OHTHER LT ON A COLUMN OR EXTERIOR SOFFIT

Designer100

How do I place a flood light on a exterior column or exterior soffit? Aalso placing a electrical outlet on a column. I have made a small retangle wall in past to do it. 

Any suggestion? this is something cheiv developers need to work on.

It says walls or cabinets! Ther should be a simple solution. 

6 hours ago, Designer100 said:

How do I place a flood light on a exterior column or exterior soffit? Aalso placing a electrical outlet on a column. I have made a small retangle wall in past to do it. 

Any suggestion? this is something cheiv developers need to work on.

It says walls or cabinets! Ther should be a simple solution. 

I make a lot of my columns from Cabinets.  I would suggest that, very easy and lots of control.

40 minutes ago, Alaskan_Son said:

In addition to the above, it can also be as simple as just placing the fixture onto a wall, selecting it, clicking Open Symbol>Options, changing it to Floor Mounted, and then moving it to wherever you want it. 

That's the ticket and is what I do. Much easier and faster. No walls. If the symbol is set for wall mount, just place it on a wall and do as Michael said.

45 minutes ago, tommy1 said:

BTW, something else I do. After it's placed on the column, slab, solid or whatever so it looks good in plan view, I then open that symbol and set all the origins to "0" so the bounding box is good.

This really kind of depends on the symbol of course and on what you are trying to accomplish.  If for example a symbol has the junction box included, it would probably be best to leave a y offset;  and if you would like to place the height based on the center of fixture or j-box then you might also want to leave a Z offset as well.  

Regardless of your intentions though, you would likely want to at least double check the offsets and adjust as/if necessary.

• 3 months later...