“inverted” roof - starting one roof plane at the hip of another

wolfie415

I have posted this problem before, but couldn’t get a solution. Since then I have watched countless videos, but I still haven’t solved the problem. I’m beginning to wonder if this is something that is just not possible  ...

In the attached files you will see that I built my roof (which has admittedly a weird shape: basically the roof is inverted, like a funnel, towards the atrium in the center of the house).  There is this final roof plane which I cannot get to connect. I have tried to run the base line along the hips of the adjoining roof planes and then angle that baseline to follow the pitch  of those roof plans. That got me pretty close, but as you can see the 3-D renderings are less than satisfying...

thanks

wh475f_1.jpg

wh475f_2.jpg

wh475f_3.jpg

wh475f_4.jpg

wh475f.plan

On 17/06/2018 at 2:32 AM, solver said:

hi! I wonder if the following is possible (in home designer pro): I manually create a roof plane and turn its shape into a triangle. At one side of the triangle  I line up the baseline of a new roof plane. looks perfect in 2d, but seen in 3d it becomes obvious that the 2 roof planes are angled against each other. i have tried adjusting the baseline angle to the pitch of the first plane, but this is a lot of trial and error and they never seem to meet perfectly ...

I'm assuming you can't do this mathematically

This is possible in full Chief to do this graphically - I'm not sure about your version though.

Draw your triangular roof plane and then take a cross section/elevation camera perpendicular to the new gable you just created.

Snap a line along the roof plane top and drag it above the roof so it is out of the way.

You can now use the angle of this line (you will probably need the reciprocal angle) to set your Baseline Angle for your next rectangular roof.

You can then change the angle ( Baseline Angle) of the rectangular roof and you will probably have to move this rectangular roof up to meet the triangular roof.

The key is to use the cross section/elevation camera perpendicular to your first roof plane to get the angle running up the gable roof. 

It's good to have 3 views open to see what is happening in all views - plan view, cross section/elevation and a 3D overview.

New Image_105.jpg

If the OP has Home Designer Pro, it has the exact same capabilities as X10 or any version of Chief Premier, in terms of roof tools they are identical. You are in luck Glenn is looking at your plan, I can think of no other user on Earth that is better at solving problems with Chief than Glenn.

DJP

• Upvote 1

aaaah!  This is the answer I have been hoping for :-) I perfectly understand what you are saying and I will dive back into the application to apply this (which will take me a while because I am pretty new to this). THANKS!

p.s.:  I apologize for posting in the wrong forum again. This explains why I couldn’t find my post ;-)