Sill Plates

stephenbc

I need to frame floors manually, as the auto part of placing joists in CA isn't putting them in the best place.  That's fine, but I have a couple of questions related to framing members like sill plates, for example.  When sill plates are created automatically they appear to be assigned a 'component' (sill plate) name as the header in their Dbx.  I don't see a menu option for creating sill plates, so presumably one can create these from primitives, then simply assign the appropriate (sill) layer for display control.  But creating a sill plate from primitives doesn't allow one to recognize this as a framing component, unless perhaps one modifies a joist object to a sill plate.  Even after modifying a joist to a sill plate, the component name is maintained as a floor joist.  My question is, does this matter later on for processing material lists, schedules, etc.?  Are there any other implications of manually creating framing members from other framing objects?

1 hour ago, stephenbc said:

But creating a sill plate from primitives doesn't allow one to recognize this as a framing component, unless perhaps one modifies a joist object to a sill plate.

Why not use a General Framing member?

1 minute ago, glennw said:

Why not use a General Framing member?

Could do, but my question is really about whether the component name has anything to do with identification of specific framing members when reporting in a schedule or material list.

I don't think I have manually framed a floor in years. Are you sure you aren't missing something in the process? By using the framing defaults, making sure your beam defaults are set up correctly, and using the framing direction tool with the bearing line you should not need to do much manual framing. Even if you do for some reason, simply leave the auto framing on in the beginning of the process and turn it off once all your sill plates are in place.

On ‎6‎/‎19‎/‎2018 at 3:56 PM, joey_martin said:

Are you sure you aren't missing something in the process?

It's entirely possible!  I do have an issue with joists being placed in locations that don't allow for a standard subfloor (4'x8' sheets) to be properly supported.  A curved wall may have something to do with it. 

I haven't had the need to do this for quite some time, but if you really need an automatically created framing member and you also want it customize to suit your particular situation then you may want to consider using the copy and paste method.

Again, this is from memory since I haven't needed to do this in a while.  Use Save As to create an exact copy of your current file. I append Shadow or just SDW to the end of the file so I know which is which.

Adjust default settings or edit the members you want to be unique and then select those members only and copy them to the clipboard.  Open the original file and use the copy paste hold position option.  Repeat this process as many times as needed to get the final design you are after.

I hope this is helpful and also that I understood what your question was.

Edit: In your case you may want to delete the offending curved wall in the SDW version of the Chief file and then generate the framing, then copy/paste the newly created members back into the original file.

Edited by RodCole

9 minutes ago, RodCole said:

I hope this is helpful and also that I understood what your question was.

Yes, you've understood the question.  And thanks for the advice...it's exactly how I've gotten around this issue...and others!

On 6/19/2018 at 6:56 PM, joey_martin said:

I don't think I have manually framed a floor in years.

Really?  I couldn't ever imagine drawing something that was set up without manually moving items.  I move joists for tub drains, toilet drains, under plumbing stack walls, LVL's at stair opening, all flush beams.....too many more to mention.....

I set the o.c. spacing at 96" (in CA you can't set it higher) then autobuild so it will build the sill plates and rimboard.  Then I delete all joists (less joists to delete @ 96") and put them where they will be framed in the field.