Pre Engineered Metal Building

Evolution

Of late, I'm doing more commercial buildings from scratch using PEMB structure for the frame.  I've seen over the last year several post dealing with designs using pre engineered metal building structures.  I did a quick look but didn't find those threads. I thought at one point one of our great CA user guru's had done a wall design using the metal building structure, does anyone remember that. I'm sure I saw some details showing the typical metal building framing, or did I? I'd like to create the wall type that looks as realistic as possible and I know I can probably do 3D molding poly lines, or poly line solids to create some of the detail for the sections I need but, if someone had already done it? 

Thanks!

Plumb exterior walls or angled? If plumb you can create a wall type with same depth as PEMB as it helps with dimensions and such. But all other work is time consuming. 3d polys as you already stated will be your route if you want to see 3d framing of steel skeleton or framing.

• Like 1

On the previous PEMB jobs I've done, I did create a wall type to mimic the PEMB but in 2D plan of course, it doesn't even look similar, and in setting up the layers of this wall type there aren't any materials to replicate the typical PEMB wall i.e., interior metal wall liner, 10" red iron column at column bays, "Z's" or Perlin. I can use corrugated metal for the interior liner and exterior wall metal in place of drywall, or OSB and forget the rest for 2D, I guess?

I'm working on using poly lines for the Space frame to replicate that in section.  I just haven't completed it nor figured out how to place them in the 2D plan once they're finished. I guess make a cad detail and place them that way? But it seems like there was a thread out there somewhere with an entire discussion on the topic???

Thanks!

So here is what I have so far.  I've still got to figure out a better wall definition.  Make and add Girts and Perlin.  Lot of work!!! Also, Im not sure what is going on with the plan file.

I did close the file and saved it before attaching it, but when I open it, all that is visible is the floor plan.  Not sure what is going on, but when I try to do a full over view, nothing shows up unless I start zooming in, then it takes quite a bit of zooming for anything to show up.

Still not sure what is going on. When I open the plan I have to scroll way in before the floor plan even shows.  Full prospective over - view camera is not working at all, so in order to see the elevation I have to do a full elevation camera.???

CPS - 100'X200'.plan

CPS - 100'X200'.plan

Bob,

In plan view, do a Fill Window zoom.

You have some polysolids down below the building on the Framing, Steel I Beams layer.

They are in a vertical line and line up with the right hand side of your building.

Delete them and all is OK.

• Like 1

Your problem is not much different than mine.  I did a lot of timber framing.  I created my on bents, connecting girts, purlins,  etc.  I also made all the individual parts.  Very time consuming but when done I could breeze through it.  

On ‎6‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 6:45 PM, glennw said:

Bob,

In plan view, do a Fill Window zoom.

You have some polysolids down below the building on the Framing, Steel I Beams layer.

They are in a vertical line and line up with the right hand side of your building.

Delete them and all is OK.

Thanks, GLenn, as always your the champ!