Password Protection

lumber

12 minutes ago, lumber said:

Yes that will work, but what if they want to do walk thru's

All depends on your level of trust and how much effort you want to put in to protect what is yours.

You can always prerecord the walkthrough and send video or give them a link to the model with the 3D Viewer.

9 minutes ago, lumber said:

Yes that will work, but what if they want to do walk thru's

I don't think there's any problem with them opening the plan and using any of chief's features.  They can probably even save to a new file - but they couldn't save to the Dropbox location.

Not sure but this may possibly address your concerns.

"File Locking - Choose whether or not to lock .plan and .layout files when they are open. File Locking prevents another program or copy of Chief Architect software from opening and modifying the same file at the same time and is recommended in nearly all circumstances."

12 minutes ago, lbuttery said:

I don't think file locking works that way

I will have to give it a try Lew as I have never uses it but I think I have downloaded forum files of other users that will not allow you to save.  Thought that may have been the setting.

4 hours ago, Chopsaw said:

I will have to give it a try Lew as I have never uses it but I think I have downloaded forum files of other users that will not allow you to save.  Thought that may have been the setting.

Lew is correct.  That setting is for holding a lock on the plan file while it is open in Chief which prevents other copies of Chief or other applications from modifying/deleting it.  This is the norm for most applications, but I expect the option is there for any rare support issues that arise from holding a file handle on the plan file (possibly some remote file services, poor network connections etc).   

Even if an application crashes and so skips its normal file closing sequence the operating system will remove such files handles/locks.