DWG IMPORT

pazzfam

I had a quick look at your files and I think it is a Xref issue but not sure how that is normally resolved.  Possibly a AutoCAD user could explain.  I am only able to view the areas highlighted on the PDF in the DWG file.

There is a good possibility that the plan view contains "blocked" items which are disappearing when you do the import. Often times a grouping of items which become part of a block will vanish because they become a layer unto them selves after the import into in Chief.

Secondly, ACAD files sometimes have white line work, or the objects are way off to the side of the screen somewhere.

I would try this...

• Change your default background color to black (temporarily). Just like the AutoCad users do (by default)
  • After you do the import, go to the layer set options and turn on the "All On" layer set. Things should appear - even the blocked items.

I can't be of much help beyond this - as my ACAD experience is extremely limited, but I have encountered your problem before when working with other offices, and it's pretty common. You'll hopefully get a good answer from a Cad guru if the above doesn't work.

Good luck. - Val

You're absolutely right CS.

I tried dragging this one into Chief, and I got the same result that you did. It seems to be missing some layers.

Question for the OP... why did they only give you the Miami "hardscape plan"?  Could that be why only a portion of the project is showing up?

There are 82 Xref layers in the DWG file in addition to the 43 that are visible in the drawing but not sure how chief handles them or if they are actually contained in the file and can be turned on or not.

Interesting. On the Chief import, every layer was checked as being on. This is definitely a good question for and Auto Cad user.

This link shows how to display xref layers when they don't always appear. Unfortunately if one does not have the program, it will be difficult to make the adjustments.

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/autocad-architecture/learn-explore/caas/CloudHelp/cloudhelp/2018/ENU/AutoCAD-Architecture/files/GUID-332E0EC6-2AFC-4A48-99E3-DDC40BA524CC-htm.html