Unwanted items on Layout page

JKraft

I'm hacking my way through this.  I'm sure I'll love Chief this time next year.  I'm having to do a bunch of "work around" to accommodate my inability to make it work like Dan Bauhman.  Because I haven't fully learned layers, I'm creating CAD blocks of each completed plan view and sending the CAD blocks to layers so the things I want to show on other layers, don't appear on other layer sets I don't want them to. Have to have this project done by Monday and am spending hours doing what Dan does in seconds.

Here's my immediate need:  A work-around I did was creating a second floor and putting items on it I wanted, saved as a CAD block, labelled it, whallaa, had what I needed.  Then send to layout and below the title I gave it shows "second floor plan"  to save my life I can't figure out how to make that "label" go away.  Doesn't show up in plan view only on layout page.

Help greatly appreciated.

Learn to use Layers, Layer Sets, Annosets and Saved Plan Views.  Then send the saved Plan Views to Layout.

Do not convert your Plans to CAD Details.

The Label in Layout is the "Layout Box Label" which you can suppress by opening the Layout Box dbx.

Thank you Joe.  Once I save plan view of say, framing plan.  Send to Layout.  Then need to do a couple of manual dimensions electrical plan.  Will the new manual dimensions on electrical plan show up on saved framing plan.

That's what I'm fighting.  In most of my layers I have manual dimensions turned on.  But I want some manual dimension to show on framing, that i don't on, say, plumbing or electrical and I don't know how to accomplish it!!

Your input is GREATLY appreciated.

22 minutes ago, JKraft said:

Thank you Joe.  Once I save plan view of say, framing plan.  Send to Layout.  Then need to do a couple of manual dimensions electrical plan.  Will the new manual dimensions on electrical plan show up on saved framing plan.

That's what I'm fighting.  In most of my layers I have manual dimensions turned on.  But I want some manual dimension to show on framing, that i don't on, say, plumbing or electrical and I don't know how to accomplish it!!

Your input is GREATLY appreciated.

If you have a different Layer Set for the Electrical Plan (and the Manual Dimensions are on a different Layer then those for Framing) then they will not show on the Saved Framing Plan.  If you set up an Annoset for each Plan View (Electrical, Framing, Architectural, etc) then the Dims can automatically be on specified Layers.  

Learning to use the tools Chief provides and getting that set up before jumping into a project can take a little time but it's well worth the effort.

Thank you Joe.  I suppose that's true for wall or anything else.  That's another problem I'm having related to my same gap in understanding.  I'm try to show existing walls in demo plan, then new walls in  proposed plan.  And when I add remove walls, it does it in both layer sets.  I'm missing a little step that will solve all these problem.  I'll do more video watching...thanks for your help!!

I have some kind of a block.  I have watched dozens of hour of Training videos.  I have a few seemingly simple things to do that I can't figure out how to do.

I have a plan with two interior walls that will be removed.  I have indicated with notes and a dashed red Poly line surrounding the demo area.  I get that the way I want it and copy the layer titling it "Demolition plan"  and click OK.  So I have a demolition plan with the items turned on I want to display.   Now I want to go back to that plan-copy layer-name :proposed floor plan".  Then I want to delete those two walls and draw the new walls and give that layer a name "proposed floor plan".  But adding/removing walls on the two separate layers effects both.  I'm making a thought mistake right here.  Chief doesn't work the way I'm thinking.  Can any one tell me the golden nugget I'm missing.  I think I'm making the mistake of bringing MS word document thinking to the program and can't find the gold nugget to help me think "chief".

Thanks to chief community!

Edit the Demo Walls to be on "Walls, Demo" Layer.

Edit your new Walls to be on "Walls, New" Layer.

In your Demolition Layer Set make "Walls, Demo" displayed and in your Proposed Layer Set make "Walls, New" not-displayed

In your Proposed Layer Set make "Walls, New" displayed and in your Demolition Layer Set make "Walls, Demo" not-displayed

IOW, you need one Layer Set for Demolition and another for Proposed.

There are other ways to do Remodel Projects as well.  Sometimes it's easier to have to separate Plan Files, one for Existing/Demolition and another for Proposed.  That may be easier for you until you get a better handle on Layer Sets.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

You are so kind, great advice.

That makes perfect sense to me, the program has been acting like that's not possible, but I must not be setting up my layers correctly or something- because you described exactly what I have been trying to accomplish.  

I don't want to take advantage or your kind assistance but I have one more question-  I'm trying to copy boiler plate construction notes out of the library into my plan.  When I drop them into layout they are enormous- 10 times the size of the layout page itself.  I can't get them to produce handles- so I droped them on the plan page next to the plan and resized...but when I sent to layout it sent the floor plan along with the notes.  Do I just crop in layout and call good, or do I go into defaults (or something and change that).

4 hours ago, JKraft said:

That makes perfect sense to me, the program has been acting like that's not possible, but I must not be setting up my layers correctly or something- because you described exactly what I have been trying to accomplish.  

You need not only the layers, but also separate "Layer Sets"  Switching between the "Layer Sets" allows different layers to be on or off.

Here's a typical set of Layer Sets:

• Existing Plan
  • Demolition Plan
  • New Plan
  • Framing Plan
  • Electrical Plan
  • Foundation Plan
  • etc.

Every Layer Set has all of the Layers but each Layer can be displayed or not as desired on each different Layer Set. 

• Like 1