X10 Performance Issues

JBHammer

Well, so far, I've had to go to a new video card and a solid state hard drive just to get X10 to work correctly. Now I'm wondering what the advantages are of 10 over 9. I talked to at tech last week about the huge size of the videos the that are created whenever you do a walk through (over 1GB). I was told that there's nothing you can do to reduce them other than upload to YouTube and send clients a link,. (However, I have found that you can convert them to mp4 and send them by email). Please tell me what I'm missing here about Chief X10.

4 hours ago, BrianBeck said:

Likely your preferences in X9 are different from X10 in regards to which CODEC is being used to create the walk through videos.

Take a look at this support article for more information on getting and using a different CODEC.

https://www.chiefarchitect.com/support/article/KB-00076/specifying-what-video-codecs-to-use-for-walkthroughs.html

I talked to Nigel last week about the size of the files. He's the CODEC expert. He said there is no way to make the files smaller and suggested the YouTube route. :-)

5 hours ago, DRAWZILLA said:

well ,you could use the export Chief 3d viewer, it almost the same as a walk through but the client can move around wherever they want to view. Chief has the file on their servers.

Haven't used it. I may give it a try.

44 minutes ago, JBHammer said:

I talked to Nigel last week about the size of the files. He's the CODEC expert. He said there is no way to make the files smaller and suggested the YouTube route. :-)

Take a look on the Render panel in your Preferences dialog.  The Codec for walkthrough recordings is likely set to IYUV.  This will result in the large files you describe.  If you look at your X9 preferences my guess would be you are using the XVID codec which is what we recommend.  Change X10 to use XVID and it should resolve the issue.

5 hours ago, JBHammer said:

Check Kirk Clemon's advice in your other thread in March JB, the Codec made a big Difference when I tried as he suggested.