Display of unwanted lines on certain layers

JKraft

Hello Chief community,

I have drawn some cad line details on some layers, that display on other layers I want to draw different cad lines on.  The problem is Cad lines I want in one layer display in another.  When I turn them off in the layer I don't want them in, they also go off in the layer I DO want them in.  Can someone tell me what I'm doing wrong.

Thanks!

It would be really helpful to know what software you are using and you can include that in your signature for future reference.

It sounds like you have "Modify All Layer Sets" selected when you really don't want it on.

53 minutes ago, JKraft said:

I have drawn some cad line details on some layers, that display on other layer (sets ?) I want to draw different cad lines on.

Thank you Chopsaw, I'm using X6.  No, modify all layer sets is not on.  So, if on framing layer and make some manual dimensions, and go to another layer set, say plan view set, those same manual dimensions show up there also.  I may be misunderstanding how layers work.  I thought layer categories where isolated from one another and the manual dimensions on plumbing would not show up on manual dimension on framing.  That APPEARS  to be faulty thinking.  

That may be why there are several categorizes of dimensions, and I may need to work in certain dimension fields to keep them limited to that layer??

But still, it would seem you could put a manual dimension on one layer, that would not show up on another layer if w manual dimension turned on???

Your advice is greatly appreciated.

Yes if you create something on a particular layer it will show up in all layersets where that layer is turned on.  To keep things organized in your construction documentation you typically need to set up additional CAD, Dimension, and Text layers for each layerset and then once you have that done you can research Annotation  Sets which help you control those extra layers.

9 hours ago, Chopsaw said:

you typically need to set up additional CAD, Dimension, and Text layers for each layerset

Just to be clear, when you create a new layer, it is created in ALL layersets - so no need to (you can't) create new layers on each layerset - it's cfreate a new layer on all layersets or nothing.

The Modify All Layer Sets checkbox only applies to the layers attributes.

Way back in past versions, the Modify All Layer Sets applied to the creation of layers.

ie, you could create a layer that existed only in one layerset - this led to all sorts of problems and was thankfully changed.  

7 minutes ago, glennw said:

Way back in past versions, the Modify All Layer Sets applied to the creation of layers.

ie, you could create a layer that existed only in one layerset - this led to all sorts of problems and was thankfully changed.  

I think what you're referring to was an entirely different toggle called "Modify NAME In All Layer Sets" and yes it caused problems.  It also had some pretty unique benefits too.  Among other things, it was that particular feature Chief used in the past to allow a layer set that used AIA naming conventions. 

31 minutes ago, glennw said:

you typically need to set up additional CAD, Dimension, and Text layers to correspond to each named layerset

Sorry, that may not have come across quite right.  What I meant was to create CAD Electrical,Dimensions Electrical,Text Electrical, for your Electrical Layset etc.