wall material default problem

brian-sdesign

I'm having a problem where I draw a floor plan, then take a look in 3d and many of the walls will show the wrong material type. I use an interior wall type that is defined as having drywall both sides, and it is showing siding. I must have overridden it somewhere but I cant seem to find the setting. Attached is a screenshot and also the plan file. Please post if you know how to fix this.

Thanks!

Wall Material.pdf

Crest.plan

That does work but can you tell me why it is deviating from the default? It must be something in the template I am using. I can start a new file, draw a simple floor plan, then look in 3d and half the walls have a different material despite being the same wall type.

Each Wall type has its own default Material Settings per wall type per outer layer. There is a setting for exterior and interior wall materials found in "Edit - Default Settings - Materials - Exterior or interior wall", There are settings for walls found in "Edit - Default Settings - Rooms and Floors - Current Floor - Materials Tab - Walls", Each Room Specification Dialog - Materials - Walls" has its own material setting. In other words, there are lots of ways to get interior wall materials out of sync. Ideally, you set all or check all of those settings before you begin to draw the model in a .plan file. Many users do not do this and cause no end of wasted time to sync up again. Check those defaults for any out of agreement settings to be sure.

DJP

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, brian-sdesign said:

Okay I will work on the signature and direct image.

I am using X9 but was also having the same issue on X8

sounds like you need to check David's mentioned defaults in your Template , since it appear you brought it forward from X8 and have the same issues in X9

Try the Windows Snipping Tool in accessories for posting images here , save image to your desktop and then drag it into the reply window... (light grey area)

M.

Okay I am still stumped. I checked all the defaults per David's instructions and they appear correct. The interior wall setting under defaults>materials>walls is set to drywall. The rooms and floors only have ceiling and floor material defaults unless I am missing something as well as the different types of rooms. 

5 minutes ago, Kbird1 said:

Is it showing Siding where the interior Wall used is actually an exterior Wall ?   perhaps CA is smarter than you think :)  or too smart in some cases .....

Darn, I wish I understood this statement better....Was it even directed at me? The interior wall is actually an exterior wall? And very little doubt that Chief is smarter than I think and much smarter than I :):) 

Is there some inherent difference between interior and exterior walls?

Anyway all the walls in question are the same wall type.. "Interior-4" and the materials in the wall type definition are set to drywall. 

Interestingly when I open up the wall dialog on one of the offending walls, the wall type shows that it is set correctly to Interior-4. The material is wrong though and not set to default. If I check the "use default material" check box it fixes the problem. I just cant figure out why it is not using the default for some walls. I suspect it is something to do with room types since it is only some of the walls.

Another strange anomaly I sometimes get.. When I create a deck, the wall material sometimes changes just where the deck "room" is adjacent to the house. 

He says in the OP he used an interior wall-type for all the walls , but if CA "senses" it is actually an exterior wall has it changed it to an exterior wall in those areas perhaps.. ???.

11 minutes ago, HumbleChief said:

Darn, I wish I understood this statement better....Was it even directed at me? The interior wall is actually an exterior wall? And very little doubt that Chief is smarter than I think and much smarter than I :):) 

1 minute ago, brian-sdesign said:

Okay Humble Chief nailed it! I was using the exterior wall tool for all my walls and just changing the default to interior wall type when switching to interior walls.

Thanks a bunch for taking the time to help out

Glad I could help....

Larry, one thing is that there is an exterior and interior side of an interior wall. it controls things like exterior and interior side of doors and casing, etc. Also which side dimension's are connecting too, depending on how you set it up. Nice video.

4 hours ago, DRAWZILLA said:

Larry, one thing is that there is an exterior and interior side of an interior wall. it controls things like exterior and interior side of doors and casing, etc. Also which side dimension's are connecting too, depending on how you set it up...

Yeah thanks, never really had any trouble with that interior/exterior side of an interior wall and will remember your advice...