As built walls vs. new walls

JKraft

I'm doing a project where the interior walls are demo'd, leaving the outer walls only.  I have the as built drawings complete and now want to export that drawing to the layout page, and begin drawing the new interior walls. I can't figure out how to use layers to send the completed as-built to layout, then draft the new interior walls with out effecting the as built walls.  Can anyone give me a push in the right direction on this.  Is it solved in layers, CAD block, help greatly appreciated!

Yes I just reviewed it quickly and did not see the cad detail from view method where you can change all the line work of the existing walls to typically a dashed grey line for demo walls and and just hide that under the unchanged existing walls and new walls in the same locations so it shows all of the places the real walls are removed.  Last time I did it I think I did a separate plan file and cad blocked the cad detail and copied it all onto the same layer in the proposed plan and it worked quite well. Sorry to be so brief, wish I could find the video for you.

I was not going to be the one to ask that question Lew.

Here is the video I was looking for. I had to go back to my notes from when they used to number the video's.

https://www.chiefarchitect.com/videos/watch/362/showing-an-as-built-s-mask-on-a-remodel-plan.html

Also some others in section 20 that might be useful. If you are new to the software watch as many as you can absorb.

Our method is very similar to the video.

The way we do as builts is...

Draw the as built plan using all "Existing" wall types (change the fill on these to show as existing) which are just a copy of our new wall types.

-- Take your time and set up everything you can now (example: we open every window, door cabinet etc and modify it's label as (E) then the appropriate macro and also turn off "show in schedule") 

Side note: Our builders like having door and window schedules but don't love having to flip to it every time they need to see the size and type of unit it is so we use the following for our window label, as an example

(E) %schedule_number% %egress_name%

%WxH in Feet%

%type_name%

%tempered_name%

Nothing will print if the window is not Egress or Tempered.  So far the builders like this.

Make sure you have everything done before moving on and you will save many steps later.

Follow the instructions in the video for making an as built cad block, making everything in our block show as "DEMO" dashed lines.  (We do not use this as our existing plan, but I guess you could.)

Save this entire file as job number- "As-Built"

Then "save as" job number "Remodel"-version__

Note: We never work again in the As Built drawings, but we can and do send them to layout.  Because we want to protect this file, we go back and lock every layer making sure we select "Modify All Layer Sets".  (we also make a backup of this master file)

The next thing we do (in the Remodel file) is to change our defaults to use the regular wall types instead of the exiting wall types. 

Now we put the as built DEMO cad block on the drawing in the back group and lock the layer (so it doesn't select every time we click on something).

We often move all the existing items to existing layers that can be locked and we can turn off the materials if we want material lists.  (mostly on larger remodels)

Result:

Any new wall shows up as new.  Any existing wall shows up as existing.  If you remove any existing wall, then the DEMO shows through. if we need to modify something existing, such as a door or a window then we can change just that item's label & style without trying to fix it in a cad block. (Example: to replace an existing door with a new one having the same rough opening but a different look and maybe a different swing direction)

Anyway, that is basically how we have been doing remodels.

Seems like everyone struggles with this. (So it seems for ArchiCAD users too). (Using layers does not work in either program for this purpose)

1. Draw the existing house and label your demo walls (or use wall types, hatch, etc.) (tag doors and windows and any other items e, or d).

2. Draw the proposed house (separate plan file, but same folder) and label your walls as usual, existing, proposed (use wall types for your new walls)

3. Send Existing plan to Layout sheet (Existing and demo)

4. Send Proposed plan to Layout sheet (Proposed plan)

P.S.

All tagging is done in the plan file and not in Layout, only the actual legends in text format reside in Layout, this way if you have to make changes to the model you have control over the tags. I prefer tags (or key note system) for my work, that way I don't type the notes over and over, I just "tag" the reference to the legend, a, b, c, d, etc.

Some people like "annotations" instead of tags, that is perfectly fine too, just annotate in your plans, elevation, section views instead of Layouts.

Good luck!

2 hours ago, jorgearaya said:

I prefer tags (or key note system) for my work, that way I don't type the notes over and over, I just "tag" the reference to the legend, a, b, c, d, etc.

here is a way to do tage within Chief, did this a long time ago.