Plan Views - do you use daily?

SNestor

So...I'm listening to a webinar yesterday that Dan at Chief Experts/Pro Academy was holding. The topic was new features in X10.  Seems like a topic you would do in March...but so be it.  

Early on he covered "Plan Views" and made the categorical statement that to him this feature didn't do much for him.  I was a bit shocked...as I use this feature all the time...and have found it to be very useful...but, he has been using the software much longer than I have and maybe is "set" in the way he uses the software.  One thing I've noticed about Dan is that he doesn't seem to use "annotation sets" much either...and if you aren't really using "anno sets" then it's somewhat logical you'd not be using plan views either.  

For me...being able to assign a specific "reference set" to each plan view is incredible.  This feature alone makes "plan views" very powerful.  

Just wondering what the consensus is....are you using "Plan Views" in your day to day work flow?  

Thanks

27 minutes ago, SNestor said:

Just wondering what the consensus is....are you using "Plan Views" in your day to day work flow?  

Thanks

errrrrrr,  YEA!!!!!!  But you already knew that.

• Upvote 1

All the time. 

Multiple Plan View Sets with Annotation Set, Layer Set & Reference Layer Set.

I almost always open views from the Layout so I'm always in the correct View.  Only when I open a Floor Level do I change the Floor or any of the above.  That's just so I can create a new Plan View.

• Upvote 1

I like saved plan views, didn't at first but learned as I went along during early phase testing. The only problem I have is I'm changing the view accidently , then go to the layout and find the 2nd floor showing on the 1st floor plan. I wish there was a pop up stating that I changed the plan view so I could answer no I don't want to change the plan view on the layout. Other than that it's great for me.

You can even change floors to your foundation with only one click, instead of 2 or 3 and 2 or 3 back again. They will save a ton of settings as well, more than I knew and am discovering more. Love 'em.

Surprised Dan doesn't find them that useful but everyone's work flow is different.

Thanks to all for your replies...I think its an amazing feature and one I would never so casually discount.  But...like Larry said, each person's workflow is unique....and Dan has been using the software a long time and probably is a bit "set" in his ways.  

However...if you are promoting a class on "Chief X10 New Features"...I don't think you should downplay or gloss over any feature...there was a lot of people listening to the webinar and I think Dan may have done a disservice to some new people who haven't yet learned the power of "Plan Views"....

I was surprised with Dan's comment as well.

It is one of my favorite features in X10 and one of the most used features for me.

On 6/8/2018 at 10:38 AM, DRAWZILLA said:

I like saved plan views, didn't at first but learned as I went along during early phase testing. The only problem I have is I'm changing the view accidently , then go to the layout and find the 2nd floor showing on the 1st floor plan. I wish there was a pop up stating that I changed the plan view so I could answer no I don't want to change the plan view on the layout. Other than that it's great for me.

I may be doing it wrong but I made additional "working" plan views so I wouldn't mess up the plan views I use to send to layout. (Tied to "working" layer sets).  I only do this for the views I am in and out of all the time while "designing".  I don't seem to have the same problem as we near the end of the CD's.

As you know, I am still fairly new to Chief so this may not be the best approach.  Always open to suggestions. :)

On 6/9/2018 at 6:23 PM, WesternDesign said:

I may be doing it wrong but I made additional "working" plan views so I wouldn't mess up the plan views I use to send to layout. (Tied to "working" layer sets).  I only do this for the views I am in and out of all the time while "designing".  I don't seem to have the same problem as we near the end of the CD's.

As you know, I am still fairly new to Chief so this may not be the best approach.  Always open to suggestions. :)

I think this a very good idea...if you make one minor change the plan view asks if you want to save the new view...a couple of working views sounds like the solution.  

Fav part:

You have a floor plan and electrical plan, you save each as a plan view. Send the floor plan to sheet 1. copy and paste(hold position) to sheet 2. open the sheet dbx and change to the electrical plan. PRESTO, now you have a floor plan and electrical plan perfectly lined up across the pages. 

On 2018-06-10 at 11:56 PM, Renerabbitt said:

Fav part:

You have a floor plan and electrical plan, you save each as a plan view. Send the floor plan to sheet 1. copy and paste(hold position) to sheet 2. open the sheet dbx and change to the electrical plan. PRESTO, now you have a floor plan and electrical plan perfectly lined up across the pages. 

This also works without plan views by changing the anno set of the plan view in the Layout Box Specification dialogue box. 

So what’s different?

51 minutes ago, Michael_Gia said:

This also works without plan views by changing the anno set of the plan view in the Layout Box Specification dialogue box. 

So what’s different?

A big thing is the REF SETS are tied to plan views,  they are not tied to anno sets.

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, dshall said:

A big thing is the REF SETS are tied to plan views,  they are not tied to anno sets.

And the REF SET Floor Level is remembered.  If it was one floor below (or one floor above) when the Plan View was saved then it will be that floor when the Plan View is opened.  This is a huge benefit.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, DRAWZILLA said:

You can also open up all the views at the same time to click back and forth between all the views to work on.

This is awesome but I wish you could save a plan with many plan view tabs open, and then have all last open plan view tabs (instead of just one) open when re-opening the plan file.

1 minute ago, DRAWZILLA said:

The only way I know of opening more than one plan view is multi-selecting from the project browser.

Yeah that works as an extra step but wouldn't it be nice to have a template plan that you open and all your relevant plan views are there waiting in their respective tabs? Still love 'em.

16 minutes ago, HumbleChief said:

Yeah that works as an extra step but wouldn't it be nice to have a template plan that you open and all your relevant plan views are there waiting in their respective tabs? Still love 'em.

Yes, good idea