Chief crashing on new desktop

Arcadian

Hi All,

Have had a new desktop built and have been running Chief 10 for a short while.

Just started ray tracing a new house design, and after about 5 runs, Chief crashes.

Any thoughts on this ?  Sounds like a hardware issue as no problem with last desktop.

Would appreciate any feedback before I give my 'puter guy a hard time...

i7-8700K GPU @ 3.70GHz

32.0GB RAM

GTX 1080 Ti card

• Like 1

Hi Mick,

Thanks for quick response.

No warning messages. No blue screen. Just black screen on all 3 monitors, then returns to desktop in about 30 secs without computer re-booting.

Chief has switched off at this stage.  No, wasn't monitoring CPU temp. New box is water-cooled.

• Like 1

Check under CA preferences to make sure CA is using your 1080 TI. Open up the Nvidia control panel and make sure your version of CA has been assigned to your 1080 TI. Go to the Windows power plan and make sure it is set to "High Performance".

If it still blanks out the screen then go to CA preferences and reduce the number of cores assigned to Ray Trace say by half and try again. If you are pushing the overclocking then try setting this back to normal and see if it still happens. You could also pull the cables for your other monitors and see if it happens when only one monitor is connected.

All good advice , things to try above....... I have not heard of those particular symptoms so a call to TS maybe a good idea too.

Nvidia Drivers of late haven't been the best , so trying another version may help.

Graham thinking that the iGPU is being used not the 1080Ti is also a good thought.....

My custom build from Puget Systems would crash whenever I used Adobe image and video applications as well as chief Architect during Ray trace. It turned out that, for the Adobe issue, their code was requesting more power than my CPU was allocating so Puget Systems walked me through doing a very slight over clock and everything is working correctly now.   I never did find out if that was the problem with Ray tracing since it hasn’t crashed since this adjustment was made.