Reference Display

country

Gave you a point for that one Michael. Like the other guys said, that makes my head swim. How did you ever figure that one out? Wait ... don't tell me ... I probably couldn't handle that either at this point. Do you actually work or just sit back and dig into CA while telling your wife you work? :)

13 hours ago, DRAWZILLA said:

I have no idea, except that I have always not used the XOR ever for anything

Turns out I wasn't doing anything differently. I don't use the XOR either but using transparent text mean I don't have to turn it off every time from Chief's Ref Set defaults.

Is there a way to set those ref set defaults? Like Objects on and XOR off or otherwise? Can't find it - thanks

EDIT: I think the new plan views saves this Ref Set setting - VERY nice - love the plan views!!

16 minutes ago, dshall said:

Yea, me too,  I now think back on when we did  not have them and wonder how we got by without them.  

One of those very nice improvements I did not see coming and implemented better than expected. Kudos to the Chief team....

Here is some general information about the reference display settings that may help explain things a little better.

One of the main reasons we still have the XOR drawing mode is so that you can quickly tell if your walls are aligned between floors.  If your walls are aligned then you will see your wall lines drawn in some other color (typically blue with out of the box layer settings).  If your walls are not aligned then they will appear red (the out of box reference color).

If you are using reference display for any other reason, and especially if you intend to use the reference display as part of your construction documentation, then you should probably always turn off XOR drawing.

I agree that it is not be an ideal name but after many discussions we have not found an alternative that we feel is significantly better.

The "Use Object Settings" basically controls things like fill styles and whether or not the program will use the line color and line style specified for the object versus the line color and line style from the layer settings.  If you are using reference display just to align things between floors, then typically you don't need the extra details cluttering up your drawing so you should probably leave this turned off.  If you are using the reference display as part of your construction documentation, then you probably want to have this turned on.  Having it turned on should display the reference floor the same way it would look if you made it your current floor and used the same layer set.

As far as draw first or last is concerned, this only controls whether the reference floor is drawn before the current floor or after.  If you are trying to align floors and are using XOR drawing then you should probably always use the draw last option.  If you are displaying your reference floor as part of your construction documentation, then you need to decide the order that the floors are displayed to get the results you want.

If you find anything that you feel is not working correctly, then please report these things to our tech support department.  Please be sure to include a plan that clearly demonstrates the problem.

• Upvote 1

Thanks for the explanation Dermot. I understand there's a basic level of complexity to software in general and sometimes that level gets my simple little brain a bit overloaded. Understanding every nuance of any software does and I suppose should take years and some parts will simply never sink in. What I think I have discovered is that the plan views seem to save the ref set setting which is a huge help. I also understand that trying to design software for a single user like myself is a fool's errand so I thank you for your explanation again and hopefully some of it will sink in.