Shadow board/ Frieze problems

Larry_Sweeney

I tried to add a soffit detail as a shadow board, but I'm getting strange results (attachment). I have my overhang set to 12 ", but the shadow board rest up against the exterior wall and will not move no matter what my horizontal setting is set to. My roofing material is placed correctly ,but the framing isn't correct either. In the process of trying to "trouble shoot" the problem I attempted to use the soffit profile as a frieze molding. My frieze is shown in the roofing dbx. ,but it doesn't show in camera view or plan view with all the correct layers turned on. Am I having an "old timers brain fart" or is there something really going on here? This project was brought up from an earlier version if that has anything to do with it. I'm just getting it started (my own place) and I'm trying many unusual things in getting the "right look"

house.zip

SHADOW BOARD.JPG

2 hours ago, Larry_Sweeney said:

5b11a48c32aea_SHADOWBOARD.thumb.JPG.1a6bd50b343fcbc815da13ce8cbd9eed.JPG   I tried to add a soffit detail as a shadow board, but I'm getting strange results (attachment). I have my overhang set to 12 ", but the shadow board rest up against the exterior wall and will not move no matter what my horizontal setting is set to. My roofing material is placed correctly ,but the framing isn't correct either. In the process of trying to "trouble shoot" the problem I attempted to use the soffit profile as a frieze molding. My frieze is shown in the roofing dbx. ,but it doesn't show in camera view or plan view with all the correct layers turned on. Am I having an "old timers brain fart" or is there something really going on here? This project was brought up from an earlier version if that has anything to do with it. I'm just getting it started (my own place) and I'm trying many unusual things in getting the "right look"

house.zip

Are the auto roof framing on?

The pic is really small Larry , 1" x 2" , so too hard to see your example , so I'm not sure which Section Camera you are using there...

1st clue .....Shadow Boards generate from the fascia line back and trim the framing as seen below when swapping the Shadow Board for a 3x12 handrail moulding.... so that's why you are getting the weird Framing I think.... so the Frieze Option looks like the way to go...

M.

Capture.thumb.PNG.6e572235b738155d1d2e075338d47b38.PNG

I edited the attachment so it was larger and easier to see.

Perry and Mick.................Sorry I didn't get right back to you more quickly. I got a call and had to step out. I do appreciate your advice.

Perry .............. I don't have "auto framing" on, but I did build the framing. I just have that layer turned off.

Mick .........I understand that that the shadow board builds from the fascia line back, but I have my overhang set for 12". If it is set for 12" (roof material out at the 12" mark) then why is my shadow board back at the wall. When I change the horizontal offset for the shadow board it does not move. I did make the frieze the same molding as the shadow board molding but it would not show. I take it you did not get those results----------correct?

Eric..............I made sure both sides were at the same elevation. You can see my results in the attachment. Did you try using my profile that is in the plan? I don't understand what I'm doing wrong. I can't ever remember having this sort of problem with the shadow boards or frieze. It's getting late. I'll have to look at this with "fresh coffee" in the morning.

shadow board 2.JPG

Larry, I have been playing with your plan file for a while now and something seems quite off but I can't figure what it is yet.  Difficult to even get a normal Frieze to generate on your addition.  I did notice however that you did not do it with a Frieze or Shadow Board on the existing house.  Maybe you actually know more than we do ?  Love the siding by the way, makes it a little difficult to select a wall in 3D but great section view.

8 hours ago, Larry_Sweeney said:

This project was brought up from an earlier version if that has anything to do with it.

I think this is indeed the issue , I deleted your Frieze Moulding in case it was the culprit but found if I make a frieze bigger than 6" wide ( off building) in your plan it disappears . I couldn't save your Frieze Moulding to reuse unfortunately

It also appears you need a Box Eave and a Soffit to get Friezes to appear ( I set the soffit to 1/16th" ) but I found in a New X10 Template plan I can layer Frieze Mouldings up with no Issues under this 18" overhang below. I couldn't save your Frieze Moulding to reuse unfortunately

1. 16 1/4 x 5x8  ( CA-001)

2.  4 x 7 ( CA-001)

3. CA-009 at 3"

4. CA-009 at 6"

Capture.thumb.PNG.f7ae1359db3e65725888fc5dcde77970.PNG