4K TV VS Monitor

rispgiu

Is any one currently using a 4K TV as monitor for chief?

if so, would you recommend it?

can you see the labels and all of the other details just fine?

should I plan on spending more and buying two monitors of 27” instead of a 40” 4K?

See my signature.  I use:

• The 55" 4K for anything with text (Plan, Section, Elevations, Details)
  • The 30" monitor (wish I had 2) for Library, Email, Internet, etc
  • The 27" Monitor for Perspectives

I would never go back to anything less.

• Upvote 1

4k did not work for me ( 43" Vizio at Costco ( easy return)) but that was 2 years ago and perhaps Win10 had a few Issues with scaling?  personally I wear Glasses these days and found text etc was too small and with the other issues I went back to a standard 32" Monitor ( I have 2 x 32" Benq now) at 2560x1440 but 4k seems to work for many especially for Client meetings etc.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Richard_Morrison said:

However, I believe you should have two monitors (one can be your old one) because your productivity increases significantly being able to have pictures of a house, say, on one monitor while you are drawing it on the other.

Thank you Richard. On your TV monitor can you see measurements and other details just fine? 

4 hours ago, Joe_Carrick said:

See my signature.  I use:

• The 55" 4K for anything with text (Plan, Section, Elevations, Details)
  • The 30" monitor (wish I had 2) for Library, Email, Internet, etc
  • The 27" Monitor for Perspectives

I would never go back to anything less.

Thank you Joe, did you have to try more than one TV to make it work? When you purchased it, were you looking for some specific details in the TV or did you just buy a 4k TV and it worked fine right off the start?

27 minutes ago, Kbird1 said:

4k did not work for me ( 43" Vizio at Costco ( easy return)) but that was 2 years ago and perhaps Win10 had a few Issues with scaling?  personally I wear Glasses these days and found text etc was too small and with the other issues I went back to a standard 32" Monitor ( I have 2 x 32" Benq now) at 2560x1440 but 4k seems to work for many especially for Client meetings etc.

Thank you Mick, I am planning on updating my setup so I am trying to collect as much info as possible :) 

8 minutes ago, rispgiu said:

Thank you Richard. On your TV monitor can you see measurements and other details just fine? 

Yes. Better than on a smaller monitor. You can zoom in and have much more of the plan still available for editing. A larger monitor makes you more efficient since you aren't zooming in and out as much.

3 minutes ago, Richard_Morrison said:

Yes. Better than on a smaller monitor. You can zoom in and have much more of the plan still available for editing. A larger monitor makes you more efficient since you aren't zooming in and out as much.

Did you look for any specific specs?

My Laptop screen is 4k (3840x2160), I have the display scaling set to 200% in display settings, so everything is sized if it were normal HD (1920x1080), but appears much sharper. Haven't used multiple monitors or a 4k tv so I can't comment on that.

• Upvote 1

56 minutes ago, rispgiu said:

Did you look for any specific specs?

You should look at the input lag. Some TVs are very slow, others are pretty good. Some also have a "game mode" which improves lag, but may make the picture less good. Lots of good info by Googling.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, rispgiu said:

Thank you Joe, did you have to try more than one TV to make it work? When you purchased it, were you looking for some specific details in the TV or did you just buy a 4k TV and it worked fine right off the start?

Just picked the least expensive 4K 55" TV I could find.  The only thing you need to do is set up the monitors on your Video Card.  My NVidia Geforce GTX780 (3GB) handles all 3 monitors perfectly.  The resolutions I have set allow me to move the mouse seamlessly across all 3 monitors.

• Upvote 1

I just upgraded to a Sony 50" 4k because my 43" Seiki 4k died. The larger size is great but you have to decide on your physical setup. I had the 43" on my 36" deep desk. It had a short stand and a small bezel and it worked great. You have to keep the monitor low enough not to hurt your neck from too high of a sight angle. I moved my toolbars to the bottom of the screen which helped a lot. 

On the 50", I moved it just off of my desk and mounted on an adjustable floor stand which works really great. I highly recommend this stand. I lowered the tv to just above the desk and do not use the shelf.

5b11d26561b22_tvstandtemp.thumb.jpg.216535efb27e0375fcef987589faee6f.jpg 

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, CharlesVolz said:

I just upgraded to a Sony 50" 4k because my 43" Seiki 4k died. The larger size is great but you have to decide on your physical setup. I had the 43" on my 36" deep desk. It had a short stand and a small bezel and it worked great. You have to keep the monitor low enough not to hurt your neck from too high of a sight angle. I moved my toolbars to the bottom of the screen which helped a lot. 

On the 50", I moved it just off of my desk and mounted on an adjustable floor stand which works really great. I highly recommend this stand. I lowered the tv to just above the desk and do not use the shelf.

5b11d26561b22_tvstandtemp.thumb.jpg.216535efb27e0375fcef987589faee6f.jpg 

Thank you Charles, I should have posted the image of the office I am thinking of doing :) 

Office .jpg

IMG_0635.jpeg

Just now, Richard_Morrison said:

No, the keyboard should be in front of the main monitor. If you are working on your laptop, and turning your head 90 deg. to see the screen, your neck will not last long. 

I did think of that, I placed the laptop on the desk to see what it'd look like :)

I did the math the other day, and the pixel density on a 55" 4K TV would be higher than on my 32" 1080p monitor.  I see no reason that using said TV with a 4K capable video card would not produce sharp text and clean, clear lines.  That being said, probably best to bring your system to the dealer and demo the TV before you buy.

• Upvote 1