3D Views/Elevations do not look correct

fletcher

I am struggling to get my 3D view to look correct. Honestly it looks horrible like it is glitching out but I can't figure out how to fix it. When I zoom in and out the 3D image changes and morphs and jumps around. I am not sure what is causing it. It also does it with cross sections.
Is there any way to optimize the 3D view to look correct?
The image that I am attaching is supposed to be a square column with a round spot footing. Also notice above the window and the roof plane coming down in the top right of the image. 
Just as an fyi the following are the specs of my laptop:

Chief Architect Premier X7
Dell XPS 15 9560
Intel i7-7700HQ CPU 2.8 GHz
32 Gigs of Ram
Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 graphics card

Messed up 3D.pdf

You may need to post your plan file to help eliminate some variables on that situation.

Also great work on including your computer spec's.  You could add your operating system and video card driver to that list and place it all in your signature so it shows up every time you post.

Welcome to the Forum and I hope we can help get this sorted out for you.

• Upvote 2

Hey thanks Chopsaw! Thank you for the advice. When I figure out how to do my signature I will make sure to add those items in haha. I am running windows 10 as far as the video drivers, looks like my laptop is running the program off of the NVIDIA GTX 1050 graphics card but my displays are running off of a separate driver which is the Intel HD Graphics 630.  here is a copy of the plan file as well.

Isaac Reeder.plan

The 3D problem is called "Z fighting" and is caused by your model being a long way from 0,0,0.

Relocate your model as close as you can to 0,0,0.

The best way is to use Edit Area All Floors, Transform/Replicate to Move the model to absolute zero.

• Upvote 2

Thanks for the backup Glenn.  Here are Eric's signature instructions.;)

Please take a minute to fill out your signature (see mine for an example) by clicking on your user name at the top right of the page, click Account Settings, then Signature on the left. 

This info helps others help you.

Your version of Chief (X9, X10) (Premier, Interiors) is the important info.

Make sure you turn on View Signatures too.

SIG.thumb.jpg.af17109346e9446432098056e258623d.jpg

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, fletcher said:

THANK YOU glennw!!!!! that was what the issue was. My drawing was thousands of feet away from the origin. I brought it back and now everything works great!!! 

I appreciate the help

FYI .... you can Input a Point at 0,0, in your Template Plan so you always start drawing near 0,0  which should alleviate this issue.

M.

8 hours ago, Kbird1 said:

FYI .... you can Input a Point at 0,0, in your Template Plan so you always start drawing near 0,0  which should alleviate this issue.

M.

You really don't even need to place a point.

Set up your template plan view so that the zoom level is about correct for the size you want to start drawing and make sure it is close to 0,0.

You can do this by drawing a couple of walls, move and zoom to the size you want and then delete the walls.

Save your template plan.

Next time you open a new plan, it will open at your saved zoom level and location.

I am not sure what Best Practice is but I have always had it in the bottom left hand Corner of the Window when I open my Template Plan (for Visual Reference), if you hit Delete before you start drawing ( ie nothing selected) ,the Point disappears and you know you have started pretty close.

I am not sure if CA has gotten better with dealing with the Z-fighting Issue or not but I have not seen it so much in the last couple of years....

M.

Usually close enough is good enough.

That's why I only have the zoom level set in my template plan and I don't worry about the point at 0,0.

You have to be a long way off 0,0, before you get z fighting.

Be aware that the Clip Surfaces Within distance can also influence z fighting in some situations.

On 5/29/2018 at 4:10 PM, glennw said:

The 3D problem is called "Z fighting"

Huh?  Did you look at the PDF in the first post?  That is most certainly NOT z-fighting.  Your advice seems to have fixed the problem for the OP, but what he/she showed in the shot was something much different that I’ve never seen before.  

14 minutes ago, Alaskan_Son said:

Huh?  Did you look at the PDF in the first post?  That is most certainly NOT z-fighting.  Your advice seems to have fixed the problem for the OP, but what he/she showed in the shot was something much different that I’ve never seen before.  

:)  personally no I didn't look as I thought Glenn had the answer , I can barely tell what it is though ? ( @fletcher? ) , so am surprised the 0,0 advice worked...

Untitled.thumb.png.c733e164d54c238e7c85b5ad17f08d3d.png

4 hours ago, Alaskan_Son said:

Michael,

I did not address the problem with the footing/post/wall shown in the .pdf.

I should have made it clearer that my advice regarding the Z fighting related to the first part of the first post:

I am struggling to get my 3D view to look correct. Honestly it looks horrible like it is glitching out but I can't figure out how to fix it. When I zoom in and out the 3D image changes and morphs and jumps around. I am not sure what is causing it. It also does it with cross sections.
Is there any way to optimize the 3D view to look correct?

Did you look the posted plan and see the "glitching" - which certainly is Z fighting caused by the model being too far away from 0,0,0!

The .pdf indicated a completely different problem than that of the Z fighting.

I was clearing up the first problem before tackling the second problem to do with the footing/post/wall.

As the OP did not come back and ask again about this problem, I assumed that he had found a solution.

In any case, in the posted plan, I could not find the situation demonstrated in the .pdf.

I am not surprised though, that there is a problem with those columns as they seem to be constructed with bits of brick veneer walls - not the way I would do it.

So...the Z fighting is now fixed.

If OP wants further help with the footing/post/wall, please post again.

3 hours ago, Kbird1 said:

:)  personally no I didn't look as I thought Glenn had the answer , I can barely tell what it is though ? ( @fletcher? ) , so am surprised the 0,0 advice worked...

Untitled.thumb.png.c733e164d54c238e7c85b5ad17f08d3d.png

Mick,

As per my previous post, the Z fighting (now fixed) is a different problem than the one shown in the .pdf.

As I said, I could not find that situation in the plan posted.

8 hours ago, glennw said:

Michael,

I did not address the problem with the footing/post/wall shown in the .pdf.

I should have made it clearer that my advice regarding the Z fighting related to the first part of the first post:

I'm pretty sure that the issue was all one and the same.  The OP was just trying to give us a visual of the "glitching out".  I was able to easily reproduce on my system too and it does indeed seem to be completely related to the distance from the origin.  You are right though...there was also a major z-fighting issue.  I was just trying to clarify that what the OP had illustrated in the wasn't z-fighting.  And no, I hadn't opened the plan yet.

8 hours ago, glennw said:

Mick,

As per my previous post, the Z fighting (now fixed) is a different problem than the one shown in the .pdf.

As I said, I could not find that situation in the plan posted.

I didn't look at the Plan either , as I joined the thread after your answer and I was pretty sure you had the Answer , I just added my 2cents worth on adding the 0,0 Point to help eliminate the Issue in future plans....

I did not "see" a footing/post  in the PDF , nice abstract though.... or perhaps I need more Psych help :)

M.