Mac And Sketchup Or 3D Objects

SNestor

Is that possible Lew?  I have version 8 (old) but it only saves as .skp , in any version upto 8 , not sure if Sketchup 2014 Free can do other file types too? maybe Pro can ?

aren't some of 3D warehouse's files in DAE too ? which I think MACs can do ?

Ohhh does sketchup even run on MAC ?

M.

You should be able to Steve. It works similar to Chief in that you can open objects from previous versions, but once you save them, they are not backwards compatible. I have the free version of Sketchup on my iMac and that's exactly how I get around the fact that I can't import Sketchup symbols directly into Chief. I don't use it too often, so I don't remember which format of export works better, but you have the same options as Robert mentioned for the Mac version as well, just in case collada doesn't work for you.

if you open an older version  .skp  make sure you use save as  (to the version you want/need) , if you hit Save it will automatically save it as the current version ,whatever that is eg .skp_2014....  and won't be backward compatible any longer.  

This is important if you are using an older version of Chief (or HD) as they can't import the newer .skp version files , but  works the other way too , ie open a .skp_2014 file goto Save As and choose version 8 ( or whatever you need) ,save and import into Chief (or HD) , though downgrading may cause you to lose something from the model ? though I haven't had that issue myself (yet) 

M.

On my free version of Sketchup 8 for Mac I can export *.KZM (google earth) or *.DAE (collada) only.

When I downloaded the free version on my machine, I got 8 hours of trial for the Pro version. I barely use it, so I have 7.5 hours left! Maybe that's why I can export to more file formats than you?

When I downloaded the free version on my machine, I got 8 hours of trial for the Pro version. I barely use it, so I have 7.5 hours left! Maybe that's why I can export to more file formats than you?

Trivial point, but are we talking two different programs here? One is 'always free' non-PRO version, the other being the '8 hours free trial of Pro'? 

I think it reverts to the "Free" version if you don't purchase , which means I think you can't use the Layout or Style Builder Apps , older versions like SU 8 don't have this.

If you install SU Make(2014) ,     do a custom install so you can uncheck the file association for .layout which Chief uses.

M.