How Easy Is It To Import Sketchup Models?

4hotshoez

this ability has been around for quite a few years , the quality depends on the 3D artist though some are very good , some not and have high polygon counts .so really slow 3D views down, but importing of .skp's is fairly common . its the 1st place to check if the CA library doesn't have what you need. 

M.

Does the import keep its textures and colors and scale and layers?

Texture, colors, and scale are all imported. Since the model comes in as a symbol, it has only one layer - the one you assign the symbol too. Others can correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that none of the SketchUp layers transfer. 

I saw that someone else posted that the Mac version of Chief will not allow for Sketchup to be imported. Is this true? As I have a Mac trial version and I cannot import Sketchup. I figured it was the trial version limitation.

Doug from CA posted this is another thread

Save to COLLODA and import that way. The toolkit that we use doesn't have a 64 bit version that works for Mac. The vendor of the toolkit has been unresponsive to our requests to make it work

Lew

• 3 weeks later...

SKP import is not available on Mac owing to a lack of support by the vendor of the library we use for 64 bit applications. We have contacted them about this, but they are unresponsive so we don't know if it will ever be an option. Export to COLLADA (.DAE) and use that on the Mac. It is unfortunate that this option is not available, but it is out of our control.

SKP import is not available on Mac owing to a lack of support by the vendor of the library we use for 64 bit applications. We have contacted them about this, but they are unresponsive so we don't know if it will ever be an option. Export to COLLADA (.DAE) and use that on the Mac. It is unfortunate that this option is not available, but it is out of our control.

I use a Mac.  So...when I find an object at 3d Warehouse I wan and click download..."collada" is typically not a choice.  So...how do I get this object imported into Chief? 

I guess I don't know what you mean when you say "Export to Collada" (.dae). 

I'm not using a Mac so can not verify this, but on a Windows machine the step would as follows if I wanted to import a .dae file:
1) download the .skp file from the warehouse
2) open the .skp file in SketchUp
3) In SketchUp I would 'EXPORT 3D model' in .dae format
4) import model in the .dae format into Chief.

This of course means you need to install the free version of SketchUp on your Mac...

I'm not using a Mac so can not verify this, but on a Windows machine the step would as follows if I wanted to import a .dae file:

1) download the .skp file from the warehouse

2) open the .skp file in SketchUp

3) In SketchUp I would 'EXPORT 3D model' in .dae format

4) import model in the .dae format into Chief.

This of course means you need to install the free version of SketchUp on your Mac...

OK...got it.  Thanks for the clarification....