CAD line segments

EconBlueprints

Can a CAD line be broken into segments, and then each segment assigned a different layer and properties.

When I do an elevation view I send it to a Cad View so I can show the elevation with a  a grade line.

I want the lines below the grade line to be dashed, indicating they are below grade.  So If the vertical lines representing the foundation walls can be broken at the grade line, then I could assign a dashed line to the portion below the grade line and leave the line above the grade line solid.

Or, is there another way to show the below grade lines as dashed in an elevation view.

Thanks,

Lane

Can a CAD line be broken into segments, and then each segment assigned a different layer and properties.

Yes, depending on the type of line or polyline you are working with.  Simple lines and polylines can be split apart but the more complex ones can't (like the ones that represent 3D objects).

You can split any line into two segments using the "Break Line" tool that appears on the edit toolbar or right-click menu.  When you click on this tool, you might also notice that your edit toolbar changed giving you some new options.  The "Complete Break" tool will allow you to split the line into separate pieces that can have different properties.

You can also select any line within a polyline and use the "Disconnect Selected Edge" tool to separate it from the others.

1 hour ago, joey_martin said:

FWIW you can do this with a Anno/Layer set and not have to deal with CAD boxes. My Walls, Foundation layer are set to gray and dashed....done when I send it to layout.

image.thumb.png.4e47cd11217a97eca7212dd34c91a122.png

It seems a downside to this method is if the top off the foundation walls are higher than grade  ,  not an uncommon situation.

• Upvote 1