Is it possible to Create different kitchen designs within the same project.

Cherel

I usually copy the plan and rename it and change the interior design layout so that I have to completely different plans..

Is there an easier way to create more that one design within each project..

Many thanks for any suggestions..

If you are just doing kitchens and not getting into structure or layout of the remainder of the house, I don't see any reason why you could not have two kitchens side by side or even a second structure in the same plan maybe 60' apart representing the neighbors house.

5 minutes ago, solver said:

Welcome Cherel.

Please take a minute to fill out your signature (see mine for an example) by clicking on your user name at the top right of the page, click Account Settings, then Signature on the left. 

This info helps others help you.

Your version of Chief (X9, X10) (Premier, Interiors) is the important info.

Make sure you turn on View Signatures too.

SIG.thumb.jpg.af17109346e9446432098056e258623d.jpg

Thanks Joe,

Do you think that it is best take a copy of the plan rename it and make the changes and create a different Layand the 

Thanks !  I am designing the whole house.. Do you think it i best practice to  copy the plan and rename it and change the interior design layout so that I have to completely different plans..?

3 minutes ago, Chopsaw said:

If you are just doing kitchens and not getting into structure or layout of the remainder of the house, I don't see any reason why you could not have two kitchens side by side or even a second structure in the same plan maybe 60' apart representing the neighbors house.

12 minutes ago, Joe_Carrick said:

Not easy because even if you put one set of cabinets on a different layer and turn that layer off, Chief still recognizes that the cabinets are there and doesn't allow you to place other cabinets in the same place.

Yes if there is a complete layout change that may be the only way.  Then you could draw information from both plan files to make a preliminary layout presentation.  If it was just a style change it is pretty quick to change cabinet defaults.

I think I would make a new kitchen off to the side of the main plan using copy and paste for the area in question.

You could even use a copy of the whole house if you want.

You could use different layers for the copied walls and kitchen details to give yourself more control.

Then you could use the new X10 Save Plan View feature to quickly switch between the various kitchen options, floor levels, zoom levels, anno sets, layer sets, etc. to show the alternative kitchen layouts.

I think that keeping it all in the one plan is easier to keep track of instead of copying and switching between various plans all the time.

Save Plan Views gives you the best of having things in one plan and having them in different plans.

Hi Glenn,

thank you for you advice I will give it a go,

I am using X10 but haven't ever used the new feature to quickly switch between the various options..

Just had a look at your renderings.. excellent  work !

thanks again,

Cherel

How about this......  a hybrid of some previous suggestions,  put  ONLY the various kitchen options on different floors,  and then use ref sets to display the various options.  Flip between options using plan view sets.

this would not require coping the entire plan for each option.

However,  without a separate plan for each option,  3D views usage is limited.

Thanks dshall,

I do need the 3d view to sell the concept.. I am working on the different views now, using  the new X10 Save Plan View feature .. looks promising!

I will follow up when I am finished!

thank you!!!

regards,

Cherel

Every kitchen project I work on starts with multiple options with most of the house drawn.

I start with an existing, place a text block with %file.name% in it, add cameras then do save as for each variation (including dead ends for when the client says "what about") The kitchen always consumes a full meeting even when there is more involved so layout for it at this point is 1117 even when finals are Arch D. Send existing plan, elevations, and one or two perspectives (usually tech illustration) to layout which all amounts to 3-4 pages. Copy plan and elevations to new pages, link to new file, send perspective from new file, repeat.

Print a couple of sets to give them something to hold, point to, and me something to write on, makes easy side by side comparison.

I use 3-4 monitors for meetings in the office with large TV for client to focus on and a second viewable by them (set a primary so taskbar shows all open) as back up; two for warehousing.

Makes sending files between screens easier (with a hotkey), tile within a chief as needed, still lets me use plan views to show other information quickly  ( dimensioned, w/ demo, plain language descriptions, aisle clearances...), easy copy paste between plans (I want that island in this plan) and keep any needed reference pdfs or images of product available. (Bonus, the kid gets to play mission control  :)

As the preferred plan gets adjusted at the meeting it's saved as. After all the extra plans go into an archive folder without saving plan of views.

Mark:

I have opened a second instance of Chief during client presentations

this allows me to keep my primary current views on the first instance

while using the second instance for exploring options and views and a second layout etc

NOTE: best to use a copy of the plan as making edits in both instances could end up corrupting the plan

or don't make any edits - just use for static viewing only while discussing options

as many instances of Chief can be opened by using ctrl-c when clicking on Chief's desktop icon

Lew

Cherel, I may be old school but IMHO I would always make a separate plan file of each design and name them "option 1, 2" etc.. You could always use one layout with multiple plan files linked. As you see, you have many options on how to do this.

• Upvote 1

I always set up separate plans for differing iterations of a design. To show these I send the appropriate comparison views to a common layout. usually PDF this and now we can just flip between pages to see the differences. I never run Chief in front of clients, it's all done with PDF's of layouts. I was in the past using Chief during client presentations but found that clients started requesting changes on the spot and in many cases the changes were not related to the meetings purpose and too much time was being wasted playing around with non related design changes. 

1 hour ago, TheKitchenAbode said:

I was in the past using Chief during client presentations but found that clients started requesting changes on the spot and in many cases the changes were not related to the meetings purpose and too much time was being wasted playing around with non related design changes. 

I've gone back and forth with this over the years. Currently I have both pdf and the Chief. I'll make simple quick changes IF relevant. I've learned to be pretty blunt-"we can't do that now but I'll not it for next time" when I'm at my best "No" at other times. I also keep a hammer handy.

"It takes two people to make a painting. One to stand at the canvas with a brush, the other to stand behind them with a hammer and hit them when it's done"-paraphrase of Paul Cezanne.

• Upvote 1

Hi Everyone,

I have woken up this morning with so many responses!!! Thanks to everyone for their suggestions!!!!

I am an interior designer I have worked with Chief for many years but haven't mastered it yet.

You have all inspired me to work on my skills..

Thank you!

Have a great day!!

Cherel

On 5/23/2018 at 7:53 PM, Cherel said:

I usually copy the plan and rename it and change the interior design layout so that I have to completely different plans..

Is there an easier way to create more that one design within each project..

Many thanks for any suggestions..

Could you make symbol blocks of your different kitchen designs and save them in your user library?  Then you could just swap in and out the different designs until you get the one the client likes?

If you wanted to, you could draw one big room and set up a virtual kitchen design center and place all your kitchen design options in the big room and rotate around from kitchen design to kitchen design.

10 hours ago, parkwest said:

Could you make symbol blocks of your different kitchen designs and save them in your user library?  Then you could just swap in and out the different designs until you get the one the client likes?

If you wanted to, you could draw one big room and set up a virtual kitchen design center and place all your kitchen design options in the big room and rotate around from kitchen design to kitchen design.

Why not just put each kitchen block on a different layer and turn them on and off? Keep them placed in the same kitchen. 

Yup, put one kitchen block on layer called “kitchen A” and the other kitchen on layer “kitchen B”, for example. 

Then you could switch them on and off as you like. 

Or save views with one on and the other off and show them side by side. 

Important to keep them as blocks though. 

would having separate plans files all derived from the original help

while using edit area - paste hold position

open an alternative plan use edit area on the kitchen

then paste hold position in the "primary" plan

???

Lew