drawing question

mikes616

If the rectangle is known, then it's just a matter of drawing the three tangential lines. Or do you mean that the three lines are fixed, and you have to position/rotate the known rectangle to be tangent?

15 minutes ago, mikes616 said:

yes, the three lines are fixed and I have a known sized rectangle that must be positioned.

Well, that's a tough one. I can't think of a graphical solution - I think you'll need somebody whose really good at geometry.

This only works IF two of the lines are parallel and the distance between them is equal to or greater than the diagonal of the rectangle.

IF the distance is greater than the diagonal of a fixed rectangle it can't be tangent. IF they are not parallel a fixed rectangle may work one a a gazillion times but that too may be impossible. In any case this works, tested on a second set to get as far as if it was not by accident. Plan attached.

• Place point at interstion of one parallel line and cross line.
  • Pt to pt move the one corner of rectangle to point.
  • draw a circle with radius equal to the rectangle
  • draw a line from the point to where the circle intersects the second parallel line
  • measure the angle between the cross line and the radius line, have the angle dimension set to degrees.
  • select one line, copy the dimension, escape
  • Transform replicate the rectangle- rotate, about current point, paste in the angle you measured
  • Copy-point to point move the secondary parallel line to one corner of the newly rotated rectangle.
  • Pt to pt move the new rectangle to the intersection of the new guideline with the cross line.

This may have actually been easier back when compasses ruled, always liked this stuff though, fun waste of time :)

3lines.png

three lines.plan